Is there a way to up the impedance of a Fuzz Face without loosing clean up?

Started by carboncomp, May 17, 2023, 01:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carboncomp

Love the Fuzz Face circuit, mainly for the ability to clean up with the volume pot.

Wondering if there are any tricks the hike the impedance and not lose that cleanup ability?   

Seen a few posts online where people put a buffer at the input. From my little understanding that is just not a good idea and will stop the volume pot clean-ups, and another with putting a large resistor on the input, but would that not just make a voltage divider with R1 and kill a large chunk of the input?).

Also seen some uses of a transformer as a "pick-up simulator" to put in front of the fuzz face so you can move it around your chain with less misbehaving. This seems to be the approach for the EarthQuaker Devices Erupter Buffer>Transformer>Fuzz Face

antonis

You do have a breadboard, don't you..?? :icon_biggrin:

P.S.
42TL019 isn't used as "transformer" here.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

carboncomp

Quote from: antonis on May 17, 2023, 02:45:34 PM
You do have a breadboard, don't you..?? :icon_biggrin:

I do, but I also have access to the internet and a community of very helpful electronics experts who are always willing to help out a less experienced and knowledgeable member with answers to questions and helpful explanations in a joyous exchange of information making the world a better place! 

Quote from: antonis on May 17, 2023, 02:45:34 PM
P.S.
42TL019 isn't used as "transformer" here.. :icon_wink:

Yeah, assume it's being used as an "inductor" here as they only use the primary of the..............transformer. :icon_wink:

r080

The Benson Germanium Fuzz uses that trick too, with the addition of a pot to simulate the guitar volume.
http://guitar-fx-layouts.238.s1.nabble.com/Benson-germanium-fuzz-schematic-to-vero-td49945.html

Sometime, I plan to build something similar, but put that pot on a footswitch, so you can have your clean up with a footswitch, and impedance that plays nice with other stuff.

I think the Geofex technology of the fuzz face explains how the low impedance of the FF interacts with the guitar to allow the clean-up.
Rob

antonis

Quote from: carboncomp on May 17, 2023, 03:39:59 PM
Yeah, assume it's being used as an "inductor" here as they only use the primary of the..............transformer. :icon_wink:

And what is the inductor behavior for AC..?? :icon_wink:
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

FSFX

By connecting the windings and centre taps of the windings of these types of transformers in various ways will give many different inductance values similar to different pickup types.
Here are some examples for the inductance of a 42TM018-RC transformer measured at 1kHz.   

AdamM

Volume pedal plus inductance at the FF input might emulate guitar volume control...?

Dormammu

What is the purpose of increasing the impedance?
2 thing:
The buffer will not interfere with the "clean up" function.
You can use BJT, also.

carboncomp

Quote from: antonis on May 17, 2023, 04:12:18 PM
And what is the inductor behavior for AC..?? :icon_wink:

I believe it's variable resistance based on frequency, higher frequency lower resistance?  (but have no clue how to calculate that, if I'm even right)

Dormammu

Quote from: carboncomp on May 17, 2023, 05:01:45 PM
I believe it's variable resistance based on frequency, higher frequency lower resistance?
Nope, completely the opposite.   ;)

carboncomp

Quote from: Dormammu on May 17, 2023, 04:53:44 PM

To let you put the FF somewhere else in your chain rather than right at the front.

Dormammu

Quote from: carboncomp on May 17, 2023, 05:06:35 PM

To let you put the FF somewhere else in your chain rather than right at the front.
Elsewhere, other boxes will act as a buffer.

antonis

Quote from: carboncomp on May 17, 2023, 05:01:45 PM
but have no clue how to calculate that

Just use the reverse of capacitive reactance formula.. :icon_wink:
(and use inductance instead of capacitance, of course..) 

Steben

Quote from: Dormammu on May 17, 2023, 05:19:06 PM
Quote from: carboncomp on May 17, 2023, 05:06:35 PM

Elsewhere, other boxes will act as a buffer.

Indeed....

You will always have clean up but the wooly bloomy to cleanish will become shrilly to less shrilly.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

GibsonGM

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...