Better way to switch channels in preamp

Started by marcelomd, June 08, 2023, 02:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcelomd

Hi!

I designed a preamp based on the Zvex SHO and Box of Rock. Post here

Currently I'm switching channels using a simple 3PDT. Like this:

The issue is that the channel that is not active is "floating". Is that ok?

Both channels have a large anti pop resistor to ground at input and output. Is this enough to keep it silent while not in use (as to not interfere with the active channel)?

I'm trying to avoid a bunch of relays and JFETS if I can.

Thanks!

Ben N

'Twere an amp, you might shunt the the unused channel to ground right after the first stage, while selecting between outputs to feed the PI or power amp.
  • SUPPORTER

marcelomd

Quote from: Ben N on June 08, 2023, 04:17:30 PM
'Twere an amp, you might shunt the the unused channel to ground right after the first stage, while selecting between outputs to feed the PI or power amp.

Let's see if I understand:
- Connect input jack to both first stages at the same time;
- Use one pole to ground the output of one of the first stages;
- Use the second pole to select between channel outputs.

Correct?

antonis

Quote from: marcelomd on June 08, 2023, 02:38:23 PM
Both channels have a large anti pop resistor to ground at input and output. Is this enough to keep it silent while not in use (as to not interfere with the active channel)?

If this was enough, they shouldn't work either on their "active" state.. :icon_wink:
(in the mean of anti-pop resistors don't kill iN-OUT signals..)

You need to wire 3PDT switches with effects IN & OUT grounded when by-passed..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

garcho

Ground unused inputs, but do NOT ground outputs.

Or am I missing something and wrong like usual?
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Ben N

Quote from: marcelomd on June 08, 2023, 04:37:20 PM
Quote from: Ben N on June 08, 2023, 04:17:30 PM

Let's see if I understand:
- Connect input jack to both first stages at the same time;
- Use one pole to ground the output of one of the first stages;
- Use the second pole to select between channel outputs.

Correct?
Yeah, but if you just have separate input buffers you can put the shunt there--just so long as you aren't inadvertently grounding the *on* channel. BTW, I'm not saying this is the right way to do it in a low voltage SS preamp, just how I've seen it done in HV tube preamps, and it avoids any issue of floating and kills noise.
  • SUPPORTER

marcelomd

Quote from: Ben N on June 08, 2023, 05:11:48 PM
Yeah, but if you just have separate input buffers you can put the shunt there--just so long as you aren't inadvertently grounding the *on* channel. BTW, I'm not saying this is the right way to do it in a low voltage SS preamp, just how I've seen it done in HV tube preamps, and it avoids any issue of floating and kills noise.

Any resistor between buffer output and ground?

Quote from: antonis on June 08, 2023, 04:50:45 PM
You need to wire 3PDT switches with effects IN & OUT grounded when by-passed..

Quote from: garcho on June 08, 2023, 05:04:36 PM
Ground unused inputs, but do NOT ground outputs.

How can I do that with one 3PDT?
- Pole 1 selects LEDs
- Pole 2 selects outputs
- How can pole 3 select one input AND ground the other?

I'm sure I'm missing something.

antonis

You didn't say (or draw) anything about LEDs.. :icon_wink:

In such a case, ground only Inputs (as gary said..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

marcelomd

Quote from: antonis on June 08, 2023, 05:26:52 PM
You didn't say (or draw) anything about LEDs.. :icon_wink:

In such a case, ground only Inputs (as gary said..)

I forget only my wife can read my mind... =)

So leave both outputs connected and use two poles to ground the inputs?

amptramp

You might consider driving both channels simultaneously and using one anti-pop resistor and one RF filter for both.  Since the stages are high impedance, the extra load in negligible.  Just connect the input side of C14 to the input side of C2 and eliminate R14, R15 and C13 in the Silvia thread.  This frees up the SW1A switch section.  There is no harm in driving both preamp channels at once.

You only need to switch at the preamp output.

marcelomd

Quote from: amptramp on June 09, 2023, 06:48:25 AM
You might consider driving both channels simultaneously and using one anti-pop resistor and one RF filter for both.  Since the stages are high impedance, the extra load in negligible.  Just connect the input side of C14 to the input side of C2 and eliminate R14, R15 and C13 in the Silvia thread.  This frees up the SW1A switch section.  There is no harm in driving both preamp channels at once.

You only need to switch at the preamp output.

Can I expect any noise issues from, say, the higher gain channel interfering with the clean channel?

Rob Strand

Quote from: marcelomd on June 08, 2023, 02:38:23 PM
Hi!

I designed a preamp based on the Zvex SHO and Box of Rock. Post here

Currently I'm switching channels using a simple 3PDT. Like this:

The issue is that the channel that is not active is "floating". Is that ok?

I'm trying to avoid a bunch of relays and JFETS if I can.

Thanks!
For true bypass you can do a version which shorts the effect input in bypass mode, instead of leaving the effect input open.   The common of the input switch goes to the effect in, one switch contact is wired permanently to the input socket, the other contact is wired to ground.  The trick is in bypass the output switch is also wired to the input socket.

See page 6,
https://madbeanpedals.com/tutorials/downloads/MBP_FootswitchWiring.pdf

The same trick doesn't work for channel switching.  You can get a working configuration with a 3PDT switch.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Ben N

Quote from: marcelomd on June 08, 2023, 06:16:28 PM
So leave both outputs connected and use two poles to ground the inputs?

One pole to ground, throws connected to each channel input.

So one pole selectively grounds inputs, one pole selects output, and you have a third for the LED.
  • SUPPORTER

marcelomd

Finally back at home =)

So, grounding after first stages, selecting between outputs and LEDs. Like this?

Thanks

Rob Strand

QuoteFinally back at home =)

So, grounding after first stages, selecting between outputs and LEDs. Like this?

It's a good start. 

A couple of finer points:

- The input impedance of those MOSFET stages are a lot lower than what you expect
   and putting two in parallel will make that lower.   To first approximation you could
   raise the 1M gate resistors (4 off) to 2M2 but that won't fix the capacitive loading.

- The input impedance varies with gain.   It can also become non-linear or glitchy
   when the stage clips.   If for example you set one stage to full gain and the other
   to clean you don't want the glitch impedance of the overdriven stage to leak
   into the clean.   That's going to happen when the input is fed from a guitar
   plugged directly into the input, as the guitar input is high.  If a low impedance
   buffered outputs is connected the glitchyness will be reduced.

So you probably should test the set-up to make sure it is problem free.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Ben N

So a BJT emitter follower (or FET into BJT) input buffer, split to the two MOSFETs?
  • SUPPORTER

garcho

The MOSFET drains i.e. outputs are directly tied to ground? Ground inputs, so semiconductors amplify 0V, don't ground outputs.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

marcelomd

Quote from: Ben N on June 12, 2023, 07:41:37 AM
So a BJT emitter follower (or FET into BJT) input buffer, split to the two MOSFETs?

Looks like I'll have to do it. Not sure how it will change the tone when overdriving the inputs though. Let's see in the next version.

Quote from: garcho on June 12, 2023, 10:34:03 AM
The MOSFET drains i.e. outputs are directly tied to ground? Ground inputs, so semiconductors amplify 0V, don't ground outputs.

Yeah. The challenge here is to ground one of two inputs with only one switch (the other 2 switches of the 3PDT being used to select outputs and LEDs)

---

Without changing the circuit too much, I can think of:
- Using some kind of Millenium bypass LED driver to free 1 switch and use 2 switches for the 2 inputs and 1 for the output;
- Using 2 switches on the 2 inputs and having the 2 outputs connected to/mixed at the output jack.
- Daughterboard with some relays

marcelomd

Just want to post here that this was finally solved in this topic.