Best method for switching 5 poles at once, with footswitch

Started by ShadSunsCrash, June 21, 2023, 11:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadSunsCrash

I thought i had a handle on this cause im pretty good with switching but this one is giving me more trouble than i thought it would. Im certain I need at minimum 5 poles for my current project and they all have to be switched at the same time so multiple switches wont work. Ive built pedals with JFET/Relay switching but never with this many poles. In another post someone recommended i use a type of switching IC that is essentially a 3pdt that can be triggered by a single spdt. Would this be the best/easiest approach or is there anything better?

The voltage/current being switched is insanely small (this is a guitar pedal after all) so thats not going to be an issue. Anyways any advice would be really helpful and ill certainly appreciate it! This is for a Klon clone that ive built once before that i builtwith my own mods added throughout the years and i love it but im rebuilding it from scratch since i finally have it how i want it (minus the 5 pole switching issue)  This way ill have a cleaner more reliable build than the current one that has seen countless modifications getting to where it is now. The mod i added to the klon uses a 4pdt footswitch currently but I need the extra pole to trigger a Bi/color led that works in conjunction with the bypass footswitch. The bypass footswitch turns the pedal on and the extra pole on the mod footswitch selects the anode of either a blue led or red led to indicate if the mod is active or not.

Thanks again for any suggestions you might have!

Kevin Mitchell

Since they're small currents the CD405X chips will do well here. The version is dependent on how many throws you need. Assuming 2 throws, you'll want a pair of CD4053 chips.

The neat thing about this is you can use a SPST switch to actuate it or add a latching circuit for no-click switching using a momentary switch (no physically latching).

R.G. has you covered.
http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/cd4053/cd4053.htm

I'm a big fan of this chip technology because it's far less expensive then competing analog switch ICs. That market gets out of hand real quick depending on your requirements.

For your consideration;
CD4051 - 1 pole 8 throw (set by 3-bit binary, a little more complicated)
CD4052 - 2 pole 4 throw (actuation pin per each pole)
CD4053 - 3 pole 2 throw (actuation pin per each pole)
  • SUPPORTER

ShadSunsCrash

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on June 21, 2023, 02:41:56 PM
Since they're small currents the CD405X chips will do well here. The version is dependent on how many throws you need. Assuming 2 throws, you'll want a pair of CD4053 chips.

The neat thing about this is you can use a SPST switch to actuate it or add a latching circuit for no-click switching using a momentary switch (no physically latching).

R.G. has you covered.
http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/cd4053/cd4053.htm

I'm a big fan of this chip technology because it's far less expensive then competing analog switch ICs. That market gets out of hand real quick depending on your requirements.

For your consideration;
CD4051 - 1 pole 8 throw (set by 3-bit binary, a little more complicated)
CD4052 - 2 pole 4 throw (actuation pin per each pole)
CD4053 - 3 pole 2 throw (actuation pin per each pole)

LOL, i forgot to come back and check this for replys since ive been so busy but i just looked up CMOS switching and found that article which was very helpful then i came here to check the forum right after reading that article and saw you had recommended it. So im glad im in the right place. I think i understand it enough to implement it but I still want to read up a little more so i have a solid understanding before i buy my parts. So im wondering, and maybe you could help with this also, if i couldnt just use a regular latching 3pdt and use two of its poles and the third for the control signal switching for a CD4053 which i then use its three poles to make a total of five?

It would be nice to take advantage of 2 CD4053's and use soft switching but this pedal already has a standard latching bypass anyways. It would be kinda weird to have one latching bypass switch and another soft switch for the boost function lol.

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: ShadSunsCrash on June 23, 2023, 08:28:53 PMSo im wondering, and maybe you could help with this also, if i couldnt just use a regular latching 3pdt and use two of its poles and the third for the control signal switching for a CD4053 which i then use its three poles to make a total of five?
Yes you could! One 3PDT and one CD4053 will get you 5PDT switching using one side as a SPST to toggle the CD4053. The bonus of using the latching stomp switch to actuate the CD4053 is that the state will be stable while a latching circuit will reset every time the pedal loses power. Not a deal breaker, just a gotcha for those chasing a configuration/preset. I think we've all been there  :icon_lol:

Quote from: ShadSunsCrash on June 23, 2023, 08:28:53 PM
It would be nice to take advantage of 2 CD4053's and use soft switching but this pedal already has a standard latching bypass anyways. It would be kinda weird to have one latching bypass switch and another soft switch for the boost function lol.
That's up to you! In my opinion less circuitry is always the preference  8)
If you use the above idea a latching circuit becomes unusable. It would then take an extra click to trip a latching circuit.
  • SUPPORTER