"Punch" mini-amp with a 32 Ohm speaker?

Started by SeneX225, June 22, 2023, 07:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeneX225

Salut!

I want to make this tiny 1W desk amp (for quick on-hand testing of other guitar things):

However, I have this salvaged 32 Ohm 0.2W speaker lying around without any use, so I would like to use that instead of 8 Ohm one on the schematic, if possible. I have a notion that some tweaking is required to do it, yet completely clueless what exactly it would be.

As always, I'm humbly seeking your advice. Thanks a many in advance!

ElectricDruid

It'll work, but the amp chip won't be able to generate so much power into a larger speaker load.

The datasheet here gives figures for 8ohm and 16ohm:

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/TDA7052A_AT.pdf

Basically, it halves the output power from 1W to 0.5W. So at 32ohm, you'll get 0.25W. Is that enough? I notice the datasheet also mentions that the supply voltage can be as high as 18V maximum, so you might do better getting the supply voltage up close to that if you're using a 32ohm speaker.

Clint Eastwood

SeneX225

Quote from: ElectricDruid on June 22, 2023, 09:05:17 AM
Basically, it halves the output power from 1W to 0.5W. So at 32ohm, you'll get 0.25W. Is that enough? I notice the datasheet also mentions that the supply voltage can be as high as 18V maximum, so you might do better getting the supply voltage up close to that if you're using a 32ohm speaker.

Then, perhaps, I should use another chip? I've found this page considering LM386, with something that looks like right up my alley:

LM386N-4

Power output: 1W into 32 ohms at 10% 1kHz distortion with power supply 16V
    Gain: 26dB default, variable from 19dB to 46dB
    Power supply: 4V to 18V single supply

The page says it can me implemented in a guitar amp with the only change of volume pot:

QuoteVR1 and C1 are at the line level input. VR1 is a potentiometer and is ideally a 10k log (logarithmic) pot, but the value is not too critical and 22k or 4.7k will also work. For guitars, higher values are preferred such as around 100k.

They've even included schematics for both the amp itself and the entire system!

(By the way, is it safe to get rid of that inductor (L1) at power jack (J2) hot? The page says it's for stability only and I'm not advanced enough to make a coil yet, although I probably should learn how.)

Quote from: Clint Eastwood on June 22, 2023, 09:15:30 AM
If you have a junkbox with some transistors, you could build something simple like this:

https://www.homemade-circuits.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/tiny-two-transistor-amplifier.jpg

This is very neat, thank you!

Do I understand it correctly that since there's no chip, the power output to the speaker would be directly tied to over power input and therefore, if I use 12V it should be enough to drive 32 Ohm speaker?

antonis

Quote from: SeneX225 on June 22, 2023, 09:58:23 AM
Do I understand it correctly that since there's no chip, the power output to the speaker would be directly tied to over power input and therefore, if I use 12V it should be enough to drive 32 Ohm speaker?

It's a standard CE Class A amplifier.. :icon_wink:
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/amplifier/amp_5.html

The problem here is the relatively high output impedance (R2) in relation with load (32R)..
https://www.tutorialspoint.com/amplifiers/transistor_load_line_analysis.htm

You might need an output CC Amp (Emitter follower) driven by Q2 or turn Q2 itself into a CC amp..

P.S.
The above circuit proposed by Clint Eastwood is a tiny hearing aid amp ( https://www.homemade-circuits.com/mini-audio-amplifier-circuits/ ) and can't serve for your puprose for reasons other than "power".. :icon_wink:
(e.g. it can't amplify anything of amplitude lower than +500mV, or so -  I let you guess why..) :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Steben

Quote from: SeneX225 on June 22, 2023, 07:56:40 AM
Salut!

I want to make this tiny 1W desk amp (for quick on-hand testing of other guitar things):

However, I have this salvaged 32 Ohm 0.2W speaker lying around without any use, so I would like to use that instead of 8 Ohm one on the schematic, if possible. I have a notion that some tweaking is required to do it, yet completely clueless what exactly it would be.

As always, I'm humbly seeking your advice. Thanks a many in advance!

Hi.
What kind of speaker is this?
I ask because the speaker is perhaps more of influence on the character of your setup than the amp circuit.
Smallish speakers are not the best for discerning tonal differences between stompboxes  :icon_mrgreen:
Giving full 0.1 - 0.2 Watts to a efficient 10"-12" speaker is a more than present tone. 1 Watt in a 4" will sound meh.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

SeneX225

Quote from: Steben on June 22, 2023, 11:41:31 AM
Hi.
What kind of speaker is this?
I ask because the speaker is perhaps more of influence on the character of your setup than the amp circuit.
Smallish speakers are not the best for discerning tonal differences between stompboxes  :icon_mrgreen:

Hi!
I want to use a 32 Ohm 0.2W speaker like this:

SeneX225

Quote from: antonis on June 22, 2023, 10:47:01 AM
Quote from: SeneX225 on June 22, 2023, 09:58:23 AM

It's a standard CE Class A amplifier.. :icon_wink:
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/amplifier/amp_5.html

The problem here is the relatively high output impedance (R2) in relation with load (32R)..
https://www.tutorialspoint.com/amplifiers/transistor_load_line_analysis.htm

You might need an output CC Amp (Emitter follower) driven by Q2 or turn Q2 itself into a CC amp..

P.S.
The above circuit proposed by Clint Eastwood is a tiny hearing aid amp ( https://www.homemade-circuits.com/mini-audio-amplifier-circuits/ ) and can't serve for your puprose for reasons other than "power".. :icon_wink:
(e.g. it can't amplify anything of amplitude lower than +500mV, or so -  I let you guess why..) :icon_wink:

I see, sort of. The amp would need a higher amplitude window to properly amplify guitar signal (what a mouthful!), correct?

Will LM386N-4 suffice, though?

Mark Hammer

Have you measured it?  Is it possible it's actually a 3.2R speaker and the decimal is not very visible (if at all)?
But higher-impedance speakers DO exist.  I made some mini-columns with a quartet of the 64R speakers that were used in early Macintosh computers.  A local surplus place was selling them cheap, so I bought a bunch.  With 4 in parallel, that makes each "cab" 16 ohms.  The original Macs had a surprisingly wide bandwidth for such a small speaker (with a very big magnet).

Steben

• SUPPORTER

SeneX225

Quote from: Mark Hammer on June 22, 2023, 12:43:11 PM
Have you measured it?  Is it possible it's actually a 3.2R speaker and the decimal is not very visible (if at all)?
But higher-impedance speakers DO exist.  I made some mini-columns with a quartet of the 64R speakers that were used in early Macintosh computers.  A local surplus place was selling them cheap, so I bought a bunch.  With 4 in parallel, that makes each "cab" 16 ohms.  The original Macs had a surprisingly wide bandwidth for such a small speaker (with a very big magnet).

Measurement reads around 30 Ohm, so it is a 32 Ohm speaker indeed.

Here's a picture:

Quote from: Steben on June 22, 2023, 01:14:04 PM
https://www.switchelectronics.co.uk/32-ohm-miniature-mylar-cone-1w-speaker-66mm-x-19mm

?

Yes, but only 0.2W.

rutabaga bob

What about putting a 32 ohm, larger-wattage resistor across the speaker terminals?  That would bring it down to 16 ohms.  Or a 5.6 ohm resistor?  That would bring it down to just under 5 ohms.

Edit: I think that tiny of a speaker will sound like poo.
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

Steben

Quote from: rutabaga bob on June 22, 2023, 01:48:47 PM
What about putting a 32 ohm, larger-wattage resistor across the speaker terminals?  That would bring it down to 16 ohms.  Or a 5.6 ohm resistor?  That would bring it down to just under 5 ohms.

But why exactly?

Well, I kept it polite ;)
  • SUPPORTER

rutabaga bob

Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

SeneX225

Haven't thought of that! In this case I could put a 10 Ohm 2W resistor in parallel with the speaker, therefore turning it down to a bit under 8 Ohm and use the LM386 schematic. Would that work?

I prefer the term "Lo-Fi garage aesthetic" thank you very much.

Steben

But I am not sure a higher impedance wouldnt work. It's not a tube amp.
Lm386 is used as small signal distortion device in some circuits. Loads > 1k .....
  • SUPPORTER

antonis

What about putting a 32 ohm, larger-wattage resistor across the speaker terminals?  That would bring it down to 16 ohms.

Bring down what exactly..??   :icon_cool:

Spreaker resistance remains 32 Ohm and pure resistances don't produse sound..!! :icon_biggrin:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Matthew Sanford

2 ¢: I've tried LM386 (not marked, likely-1) with a 25 Ohm speaker to no avail, but it might be good to try it on a breadboard and give the results here, these brilliant minds here (not me) work great with data
"The only knowledge is knowing you know nothing" - that Sew Crates guy

Controlled Chaos Fx

Clint Eastwood

Quote from: Matthew Sanford on June 22, 2023, 03:54:25 PM
2 ¢: I've tried LM386 (not marked, likely-1) with a 25 Ohm speaker to no avail

Why did it not work?

SeneX225

Quote from: Matthew Sanford on June 22, 2023, 03:54:25 PM
2 ¢: I've tried LM386 (not marked, likely-1) with a 25 Ohm speaker to no avail, but it might be good to try it on a breadboard and give the results here, these brilliant minds here (not me) work great with data

Sounds reasonable! I'll find a LM386N-4 and try it out.