Do I have a use for these ICs?

Started by Rodgre, June 29, 2023, 01:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodgre

Hi all.

I'm going through my inventory of parts going back decades at this point and I recall buying some non "SCPA" charge pump ICs at one point, only to realize that they weren't suitable, or at least preferable, for pedal power supplies. I have several of the following:

ICL7660CPA
MAX1044CPA

Are these just going to collect dust or do I have a use for these at this point? I forget exactly what the "S" means and why it was important in keeping the power supply quiet in guitar pedals.

I also found some CD40106 Hex Inverter Schmitt Trigger ICs but I can't for the life of me remember why I bought them and what I could use them for. Any ideas?

I still have an SAD4096 that I bought in the 90s waiting for something to need it, but sadly I didn't buy and SAD1024s when Radio Shack had them for $11.95.

Roger

Jarno

Well, you can make all sorts of interesting noise boxes from the 40106's (look up lunetta cmos)

Wouldn't make something new with the SAD4096 I think, somewhere out there is a lovely piece of broken equipment that needs one of these.

The chargepump IC's are useful if you need a higher or negative supply (for either something like a fet buffer or a fuzz with PNP transistors).

idy

The "S" in SCPA indicates that you can jumper pins 1 and 8 and bump the frequency up into ultrasonics. "Super," I think. Otherwise the whine is down where we can hear it.

garcho

Try the charge pumps in a basic bipolar op amp buffer or something like that and see how noisy they are.

40106 crazy fuzz pedal: Tim Escobedo's PWM. Scroll down (and check out all the other stuff!).

In Nicolas Collins' excellent book Handmade Electronic Music, you will find a ton of super cool yet easy to breadboard and build effects and noise maker stuff, many with a 40106. He actually uses the 40106 as the basic starting point of the book, if I recall correctly, and builds a number of things evolving from that. Highly recommended.

QuoteI still have an SAD4096

calling Mr. Hammer!

maybe just sell/give away that thing, make someone else real happy, like Jarno said.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

CheapPedalCollector

Wish I could buy that SAD4096 for my DOD Analog Delay, you might try to build one of those with it. Also Commande series MXR analog delay, or 2000 series Stereo Chorus.

Mark Hammer

I can certainly THINK of a use for an SAD4096, but can I afford it, or find the time?  Not these days.

RE: CD40106, take a look at Ken Stone's "Psycho LFO" https://www.elby-designs.com/webtek/cgs/cgs03/cgs03_psycho_lfo.html

garcho

^ Ken Stone's stuff is great, lots of extractable snippets for guitar pedals.

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

PRR

The basic analog audio use for '106 is ten-cent oscillators.

And remember: these are nickel/dime chips. Probably not precious. (Though I have been surprise when chips went out of production when I was not looking.) IMHO-- if you don't know, throw them out.
  • SUPPORTER