Analogman King of Tone Help

Started by ToneRangerAudio, June 29, 2023, 04:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToneRangerAudio

Hey all!

Two questions about my King of Tone V4. I recently modded it to have two low/higher gain toggles and two mode switch toggles. These mods work perfectly. However during this process, I accidentally broke D10, 1 of 4 diodes at the bottom of the PCB. Does anyone know what diodes these are and where I can find them to replace them? I will replace all 4 while I'm at it because I want to.

Also, the drive pot on the yellow side wiggled loose. The shaft is very wobbly now, and needs to be replaced. Does anyone know what pots are in the KOT and where I can source one?

The yellow side is making a very gated sound, and the 4580D chip feels hot to the touch (I've replaced it to see if this was the problem) but I think that may be from the drive pot being broken.

Thank y'all!

ElectricDruid

The diodes in the King of Tone aren't anything extraordinary as far as I know. Replace it with a 1N914 or 1N4148 and it'll be fine. Don't bother replacing the others if they work - if it ain't broke, don't "fix" it.

The pots are 16mm Alpha pots, PCB vertical mount with long legs (there's a vertical mount short leg version too - not that). The extra length of the legs is bent around to get everything where he wants it. I'm assuming yours looks like this gutshot:

Yes, a pot gone open would make it very high gain and gated, if I remember the circuit correctly. Don'T know whether that would make the chip hot, but it's possible. Fix the pot and see.

ToneRangerAudio

Quote from: ElectricDruid on June 29, 2023, 05:04:48 PM
The diodes in the King of Tone aren't anything extraordinary as far as I know. Replace it with a 1N914 or 1N4148 and it'll be fine. Don't bother replacing the others if they work - if it ain't broke, don't "fix" it.

The pots are 16mm Alpha pots, PCB vertical mount with long legs (there's a vertical mount short leg version too - not that). The extra length of the legs is bent around to get everything where he wants it. I'm assuming yours looks like this gutshot:

Yes, a pot gone open would make it very high gain and gated, if I remember the circuit correctly. Don'T know whether that would make the chip hot, but it's possible. Fix the pot and see.

Right on! Where do you recommend getting those 16mm pots? I can't find any anywhere with those long legs!

ElectricDruid

Quote from: TheWorshipGuitarist on June 29, 2023, 05:16:12 PM
Right on! Where do you recommend getting those 16mm pots? I can't find any anywhere with those long legs!

Looks like Small Bear have them:

https://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/single-gang-16mm-rt-angle-pc-mt-long-pin-linear-audio/

If you're in Europe, I can probably find somewhere over here that has them too.

ToneRangerAudio

Quote from: ElectricDruid on June 29, 2023, 05:20:32 PM
Quote from: TheWorshipGuitarist on June 29, 2023, 05:16:12 PM

Looks like Small Bear have them:

https://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/single-gang-16mm-rt-angle-pc-mt-long-pin-linear-audio/

If you're in Europe, I can probably find somewhere over here that has them too.

I'm in the U.S. so that's perfect! Do you think it's okay if I run my KOT with one side not working for the moment? I don't want to mess anything up internally from still using it, but want to use it if you think it's okay. I'll probably remove the IC just so it doesn't burn up inside.

Thanks so much for your help!

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

idy

I think these have soft and hard clipping (2 or 4) diodes, so 6 per side x 2,
plus polarity protection,
plus maybe the indicator LEDs count...

antonis

No,, :icon_wink:

4 in feedback loop and 2 for hard clipping..
Plus 1 for reverse polarity protection plus 1 for LED indicator..
(plus, perhaps, one zener for voltage regulation..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

DIY Bass

Quote from: antonis on July 01, 2023, 11:37:15 AM
No,, :icon_wink:

4 in feedback loop and 2 for hard clipping..
Plus 1 for reverse polarity protection plus 1 for LED indicator..
(plus, perhaps, one zener for voltage regulation..)

But each KOT is 2 whole circuits on one board, so 4 in feedback loop x2 = 8, plus 2 for hard clipping x 2 =4, so already 12, plus reverse polarity protection gives 13 minimum.  It is the prince of tone that is only a single pedal.