Nice desoldering video for multi pin devices

Started by John Lyons, July 05, 2023, 08:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

r080

Cool trick. I have been looking for a way to recover some DIP components from old boards I found.

I must say I have always hated desoldering braid, but the tip at the end to dip it in flux might be what I was missing.
Rob

John Lyons

Quote from: r080 on July 06, 2023, 10:51:52 AM
Cool trick. I have been looking for a way to recover some DIP components from old boards I found.

I must say I have always hated desoldering braid, but the tip at the end to dip it in flux might be what I was missing.

Yes, the flux tip and allowing the braid to soak up solder from two sides are good tips.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

mark2

Great tip. I've done a variation of this a few times but never stuck with it because I didn't take the time to tape down the bridge and found it too clumsy. I'll definitely give this a try next time I'm in one of those situations where I reach for a hot air gun but struggle because plastic or other heat sensitive stuff around the joints.

Quote from: r080 on July 06, 2023, 10:51:52 AM
100% same experience here. I always thought it was useless except for removing a light bit of surface solder. I simply never had the good sense to use flux.

I'll still stick with a desoldering pump most of the time, but the flux unlocks another option.

mark2

This is also a reminder (for me anyway) to stop reinventing wheels and doing so poorly.

I'll spend 60 minutes naively hacking my way out of a problem rather than 1 minute researching to find a simpler, better solution.