Help identifying a ds-1 pcb

Started by Suspiciousminds67, July 17, 2023, 10:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suspiciousminds67

This is a bit of a long-shot i know, so apologies but does anybody recognise this ds-1 pcb and if so have the bom?
I bought it some time back - i have most of the bom but am missing the info on resistors from r12 to r23 and i cant remember who the original vendor was to contact.
I've tried comparing the info i have against online schematics but they seem to differ.
Does anybody recognise it?

GGBB

If no one answers...

You already have a parts list in a way - it's a DS-1. Follow the traces from input etc. to output etc. and build up a schematic, then plug in values from other DS-1 schematics. To start, I can see that input connects to R3 which connects to C3. So according to https://i.pinimg.com/originals/77/1c/13/771c13a12b30ac47733ce1a21fdb27eb.jpg those might be 1k and .047.
  • SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

Yes, with some perseverance you could buzz out the PCB connections with your DMM continuity, compare it against the Boss schematic, then mark up the schematic.  Be careful, there's a few variations on the DS-1 schematic.  Also when you have a cap in series with a resistors I sometimes see people flipping the order.  Same goes for opamp pins, people swap section U1A and U1B.   It doesn't affect the circuit but it will stuff you up if you try to follow the Boss schematic exactly.

As far as identifying the PCB the best hope is to trace back through your purchase records.   Identifying the PCB by appearance you need to know which vendor uses that type of overlay marking (font and part outline style), maybe the black PCB with rounded corners.   A unique feature is the white border around the edge of the top overlay.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

ElectricDruid

Inline single amp version is pretty unusual. You don't see many of those. I don't know who sold it though, sorry.

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

ElectricDruid

I meant the *PCB*, not the SIP amp!!

Rob Strand

Quote from: ElectricDruid on July 18, 2023, 08:13:36 AM
Inline single amp version is pretty unusual. You don't see many of those. I don't know who sold it though, sorry.
That helps narrow down the schematic.  It looks a lot like a TA7136AP opamp there.

I found this one but the part designators don't match the PCB, (eg. clip diodes, parts around the opamp, resistors to tone control)
https://byocelectronics.com/orangedistortionschematic.pdf

Also possible the PCB vendor has now pulled this PCB from their lists due to low sales, as the TA7136AP is hard to get.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Suspiciousminds67

Many thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.
I have a TA7136p to put in it that i bought at the time, but unfortunately i didnt check that i had all the bom.
I have all the diode, cap,ic,transistor info and resistors up to r11, so i have a dozen resistors to work out.
But of the schematics i can find, the values/pcb numbers dont seem to match ie on my bom R1 is 10k, on the schematics 1k etc etc.
It also states that there are only 3 transistors being 2n5088 not 2sc2240 etc.
I have found 1 schematic for a modified Boss ds-1 which i "think" it may be based on having a very similar parts count.
As suggested, i think i'll populate what i can from the actual bom then socket the last dozen resistors

stallik

Browsing the way back machine, it appears that byoc used to supply an earlier version of the orange distortion using the TA7136P. That was around 2011. Tried getting the build pdf but the machine seems to have only archived page 1.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

GGBB

Quote from: Suspiciousminds67 on July 18, 2023, 10:37:49 AM
But of the schematics i can find, the values/pcb numbers dont seem to match [my bom]

That's not at all unusual - you cannot rely on part numbers matching between different versions of a schematic - you always should have the schematic and/or bom drawn specifically for the PCB when "building by numbers".
  • SUPPORTER