Large treble bleed caps

Started by stonerbox, August 11, 2023, 11:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stonerbox

I know I am a lunatic individual but is this take completely delusional? I have a 330nF set up on a 100k pot and it sounds just delicious on my current octave up fuzz design. The fuzz has heaps of output to work better with line level but when hooking the thing up to amps you will want to turn the volume way down.

When switching to more common bleed sizes such as ≤1nF it makes it sound thin and fizzy at low volumes and it is not really usable in my opinion. Sure there is a big setback when going with the huge ass 330nF as it alters the taper quite a lot. The pedal sound better at low volumes but it does gets harder to finely adjust the output as it stays much louder at 3-5 o'clock before semi-quickly cutting out to ground. But I am thinking of keeping it as is because nothing else really compares.

There is nothing more to be said or to be done tonight, so hand me over my violin and let us try to forget for half an hour the miserable weather and the still more miserable ways of our fellowmen. - Holmes

John Lyons

I use treble bleed caps a lot in pedals.
You'd probably be better off changing the
output/input cap (the cap just before where
you are using the bleed) to get closer to the
low end amount you want, or don't want.
Using large caps for the treble bleed ends
up with not enough volume control or just
passing too much signal into the upper mid range
rather than treble. Switchable caps might be better
without sacrificing volume control.
Typically I can't go bigger than .002 without lossing
control over the level control.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

stonerbox

That is solid advice. Just noticed I lost a great deal of volume control between 8-3 o'clock. Not acceptable.

With that said, I am sorry to inform you that my output cap is 4.7uF.

It sounds absolute fantastic when cranked because it has lot of important details in the whole range. From 80hz-15kHz. When cranked the bass, mid range and super high end is all present and wild. If I turn the pot down to around 30% (good level) it is very muffled and bassy. At 30%, if adding a 470pF the top end is brought back but the bass and lower mid range sounds not very exciting. As if the frequency response is not entirely flat. If I choose a 150-220pF it sounds OK around 30% but will be too muffled and lack bite at 50%.
Is there a way I can calculate the exact response of the bleed in say... LTspice or online?  Edit: Found this: https://www.ampbooks.com/mobile/amplifier-calculators/bright-boost/calculator/

This is hard.
There is nothing more to be said or to be done tonight, so hand me over my violin and let us try to forget for half an hour the miserable weather and the still more miserable ways of our fellowmen. - Holmes

John Lyons

So you have the treble bleed on the output?
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

stonerbox

Rob Strand

That set-up starts to act more like a variable high-pass filter shaving off the bass.   Output is more or less constant,  unless the 100k pot is loading the output of the previous stage.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

John Lyons

In my opinion you'd be better off putting in a
high-pass R/C to your liking and have better
signal level control with a standard volume control.
Possibly starting with the output cap to do the heavy lifting.
If you want a variable high pass then you can do that also.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/