Is this Layout correct? (AMZ Pickup Sim with Volume and Tone)

Started by GreenCake, August 12, 2023, 12:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenCake

Hi,
I'm a noob but have been reading/watching relevant info the last few days.
I am wondering whether I have got this layout correct from the below schematic?
I am guessing that the switch is wrong and will have to read up more on that but other than that?
Green wires would be True Bypass and would be the middle position of a 3-way switch.

Any help would be great. Cheers

duck_arse

GreenCake, welcome to the forum.

no, your layout has errors. the circuit diagram does not show any bypass, so you can't have it on your layout. your switch only needs to be SPDT, no centre position. the circuit dia shows a 10R resistor, you have placed a 10k instead. the vol pot will work correct as I've drawn it, but I'm not sure which way the tone pot will go. you can just swap the wire from ccw to cw if it goes backwards to your prefered. and that short red link will short that giant 470pF cap if you don't remove it.
Katy who? what footie?

pacealot

Also, a smaller point: though there are some vagaries around the conventions of the use of 'A' and 'B' as pot taper indicators, I'd say that, given the application, it seems clear that the volume and tone pots ought to be log pots rather than linear ones, given that they're functioning as guitar volume/tone stand-ins. (Alpha, for one, generally use A for log and B for linear.)

If I'm reading your switching intention correctly to be to use a single DPDT on-off-on switch as a three-way selector between full coil, true bypass, and half coil, I'm not sure that it's possible to do without using something more like a 3P3T rotary, or a purpose-built on-on-on 4P3T toggle. Duck is right to put a pin in that point and refocus on the single switch as given. Also, your intended application might affect best switching practise, so the more we know, the more we know.

And yes, welcome!
"When a man assumes, he makes an ass out of some part of you and me."