How does the transistor toggle work in the JHS Astro Mess and Bun Runner?

Started by ToneRangerAudio, August 15, 2023, 04:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToneRangerAudio

Hey y'all,

I'm currently building a dual clone of a modified Fulltone Fat Boost and a Devi Ever/JHS Hyperion/Astro Mess fuzz in a 1590BB on stripboard.

My question is on both the Astro Mess and Bun Runner from JHS, there's a switch that DPDT switch that toggles between two of the same transistors (2N2907A's) but different configurations. Can anyone confirm or clarify how this works, and how I would wire this? Do I tie together the base of both transistors and swap the configuration of the collector/emitter on either side of the toggle switch?

I know this is a very specific question, so thanks to anyone who might have any details.

Thanks!

GibsonGM

Hi, if you could post a picture that shows what you mean, that would be most helpful!   :)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

ToneRangerAudio

Quote from: GibsonGM on August 15, 2023, 10:33:01 AM
Hi, if you could post a picture that shows what you mean, that would be most helpful!   :)

Boom! Notice the two silver 2N2907A's

GibsonGM

Sorry, by 'picture', I meant schematic!  Takes too much work to trace out a PCB - tho someone might be kind enough to do so on here!  I need new glasses.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

ToneRangerAudio

Update,

I emailed Josh and he replied with this drawing! The configuration is so simple, but always great to double check. Hope this diagram helps others who want to do the same.

Rob Strand

All it is doing is selecting between the two transistors.

You can reduce the switching from 3PDT to DPDT by just leaving any one of the three pin permanently connected.  A single pin connected to a transistor will have no effect.

It looks like it is flipping C and E as well as changing the transistor.   It would be possible to just flip C and E of same transistor in which case it forces you to make the base the permanently connected pin.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..