Respraying a pedal?

Started by -GFX-, August 16, 2023, 02:09:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

-GFX-

I want to respray my Joyo Ultimate Drive because I want to start a boutique pedal company the pedal's existing graphics are shocking.

Do I need to sand the enclosure back to bare aluminium? Or can I sand the existing paint and prime that?

Ben N

I'm no expert and this is not meant to be a definitive answer, but I have had bigger headaches priming bare aluminum than I have painting over paint. (And yeah, I know about etching primer - not always available to me.) But the way I see it, the worst that happens if you try paint over paint is that you have to do it over. You'll know if it's good after baking the first coat.
  • SUPPORTER

-GFX-

Hi Ben - thanks for this. I was planning to use enamel spray paint in case that has a bearing, but, yeah, your experience matches my understanding - the purpose of a primer appears to create a decent surface paint can adhere to, and I would have thought the existing paint, sanded and cleaned seems like a good solution.

davent

I'd scuff sand the enclosure but not to bare metal. I'd prime that with primer meant for the paint you're using as the finish.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

GibsonGM

What Dave said.  No need at all to go back to bare metal!  As long as what's underneath is sound, and you are using compatible products, you should be good to go.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

bluelagoon

Just checked that Joyo pedal, and all I can say is, don't blame you wanting to scrub it off.

Rodgre

If I am painting a bare aluminum box, I will scuff it up a bit and use specific Metal-Etching Primer so that the base coat sticks to the surface a bit better. I will sometimes heat up a box with a heat gun a bit before I spray it too, but I'm not certain that it affects anything.

I don't see a problem with spraying over an existing paint, so long as you scuff up the surface a bit so you're not painting over a smooth gloss finish. If this is for you, I think that's totally fine.

Roger

-GFX-

Thanks all.
Quote from: davent on August 16, 2023, 09:47:02 AM
I'd scuff sand the enclosure but not to bare metal. I'd prime that with primer meant for the paint you're using as the finish.
Quote from: GibsonGM on August 16, 2023, 10:14:29 AM
What Dave said.  No need at all to go back to bare metal!  As long as what's underneath is sound, and you are using compatible products, you should be good to go.
What should I look out for in terms of primers meant for/compatible with the existing paint? I was planning on going with etch primer...

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-and-body-repair/primer/halfords-etch-primer-500ml-370400.html

and then enamel spray paint...

https://www.taindustrialpaints.co.uk/products/enamel-spray-paint

Any recommendations greatly appreciated!

Quote from: bluelagoon on August 16, 2023, 10:29:06 AM
Just checked that Joyo pedal, and all I can say is, don't blame you wanting to scrub it off.
Ugh. It's grim in so many ways. The colour scheme, the graphic, and the font choice are all so grating. SUffice to say, my 9-year-old son loves it.

Steben

How do you want it to look?
If you sand the paint, no etch primer is needed.
Acrylics are fast drying. I like that to apply thin coats. Finish with a varnish if wanted.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

GibsonGM

^   I wouldn't bother to prime either as long as you've 'scuffed' it. And I mean, fine paper scuffed, nicely uniform, no foreign substances (like oils) on the surface.
A quick wipe with acetone doesn't hurt to remove any crud that may be present.   It is 'shiny-ness' that causes paints to come off easily rather than the need for priming, tho priming is needed on bare metals (unless you come across a DTM product).

I've always had best luck with auto paints, simply cuz they are readily available in many colors in the US.  An urethane enamel like you linked is a great bet too, and likely will wear even better!  I use them for trouble surfaces at work (I'm a painter...); they've replaced oil paint for the most part.   Thin layers, clear coat.   The advice you're getting is spot-on.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

-GFX-

Quote from: Steben on August 16, 2023, 12:21:09 PM
How do you want it to look?
If you sand the paint, no etch primer is needed.
Acrylics are fast drying. I like that to apply thin coats. Finish with a varnish if wanted.
Thanks a lot.

I just want a clean durable end result.

I was planning on a light finish I could then apply a waterside decal to. I figured I'd need some layers of white primer to account for the (predominantly) black current paint job...

Since you asked, though, here're my current ideas...

Quote from: GibsonGM on August 16, 2023, 12:37:08 PM
^   I wouldn't bother to prime either as long as you've 'scuffed' it. And I mean, fine paper scuffed, nicely uniform, no foreign substances (like oils) on the surface.
A quick wipe with acetone doesn't hurt to remove any crud that may be present.   It is 'shiny-ness' that causes paints to come off easily rather than the need for priming, tho priming is needed on bare metals (unless you come across a DTM product).

I've always had best luck with auto paints, simply cuz they are readily available in many colors in the US.  An urethane enamel like you linked is a great bet too, and likely will wear even better!  I use them for trouble surfaces at work (I'm a painter...); they've replaced oil paint for the most part.   Thin layers, clear coat.   The advice you're getting is spot-on.
That's great to hear. Really appreciate your input! Would you recommend baking the enamel? Not sure whether or not it's necessary.

-GFX-

.. Double post

GibsonGM

I've never baked anything - but others recommend it and it's 'pretty standard'.   I'm not sure if it makes a more durable finish, but it very likely makes the product come to full cure faster (typically, paints take weeks to really "dry" fully...cure time).  Patience has always worked for me; after final coat, I'll go a few days/week before clear-coating, then a few days after this before assembly...no rush here lol.   

Urethanes are different...I haven't heard of anyone baking them, but doesn't mean they don't do it.  I don't know how they perform under extremes of heat (cracking??? etc).   I'd just light-coat and let it dry in a non-humid environment overnight between coats if I didn't have any info on 'baking success'.

- You could do a coat or 2 on a test piece, bake it at 100F for a while, see what happens?

Anyone here bake urethane enamel?   
  • SUPPORTER

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

I can't speak about how urethane tastes, but old lead-based paint is very sweet!  This is why kids 'lick the window sills' - for real. 
  • SUPPORTER

Ben N

Quote from: GibsonGM on August 16, 2023, 12:37:08 PM

I was gonna say. 2-3 thin coats of your final eggshell color should cover your black just fine without any special primer. To me, if you don't have surface issues, primer is usually a matter of personal fastidiousness, not a critical requirement.
  • SUPPORTER

GGBB

If you are going to the trouble anyway:

• SUPPORTER

amptramp

You can use petroleum-based enamel on top of lacquer but not the other way around.  You have to know what the original finish is before you can use it as the base coat for whatever you are putting on top of it.  I like acrylics - they dry in minutes but if you breathe it in, you can have a sore throat for a month.

Some people have used lacquer over enamel but the enamel has to be at least six months old so the curing is complete.  Enamel works by chemical bonding.  Lacquer works by successive layers of paint where the solvent evaporates off to leave a dry surface.

The point of this is, you may not know what the results are going to be because the lacquer can craze the enamel underneath.

nosamiam

Just as an FYI, there's nothing to be shocked by with this pedal's graphics. It's an oni mask. It's what Japanese samurai wore when they went to battle.

-GFX-

Quote from: GGBB on August 19, 2023, 08:57:14 AM
If you are going to the trouble anyway:

Yes, I started off with pictures of the Ultimate Drive and the OCD, went off on a journey through different colour options and ended up with the exact colour of the OCD without realising.

:icon_redface:

Thanks for the heads up!

Quote from: amptramp on August 19, 2023, 02:17:32 PM
You can use petroleum-based enamel on top of lacquer but not the other way around.  You have to know what the original finish is before you can use it as the base coat for whatever you are putting on top of it.  I like acrylics - they dry in minutes but if you breathe it in, you can have a sore throat for a month.

Some people have used lacquer over enamel but the enamel has to be at least six months old so the curing is complete.  Enamel works by chemical bonding.  Lacquer works by successive layers of paint where the solvent evaporates off to leave a dry surface.

The point of this is, you may not know what the results are going to be because the lacquer can craze the enamel underneath.
Thanks for that. I imagine the existing paintwork is fully cured now. I'm planning on sanding it a bit, applying adhesion promoter, then enamel paint and then enamel lacquer. Hopefully that should be fine.

Quote from: nosamiam on August 20, 2023, 01:11:37 AM
Just as an FYI, there's nothing to be shocked by with this pedal's graphics. It's an oni mask. It's what Japanese samurai wore when they went to battle.
Thanks. I recognise what it is, but (like the red and black colour scheme, and the army-style stencil font) it's all a bit "angry teenager"!