Transistor FET 2N3820 equivalent

Started by HeavyMetalfx, August 16, 2023, 06:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyMetalfx

Does anyone know of a readily known equivalent for a Transistor FET 2N3820?

GibsonGM

If you post a schematic of what you're hoping to use the sub in, that would make it easier to find a suitable replacement. I have seen this discussion on other boards, and it seems they usually trim out the replacement to get it to act properly...new FETs are much better, basically.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

HeavyMetalfx

Clint Eastwood

2N5460, 2N5461 or 2N5462 are all equivalent to 2N3820, but with different pinout. And with the 2N546x range they made three different groups according to Idss value. 
They are all obsolete, and being  P-channel jfets, there are very few of those in production today, at least as through-hole device.
There still is the j17x series made by Onsemi, maybe the j176 would work in your circuit. 

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

HeavyMetalfx

HeavyMetalfx

Rob Strand

Quote from: HeavyMetalfx on August 16, 2023, 06:50:53 AM
Does anyone know of a readily known equivalent for a Transistor FET 2N3820?

Oh, the Fairchild datasheet is fairly open ended
https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/83029/FAIRCHILD/2N3820.html

Silconix suggest J270 as an equivalent:

Low-ish Vgs_off P-channel.  Idss fairly normal to high.

Good chance you will want an equivalent to that

I can read the schematic at all.  Can't even tell if it's a P-channel  :icon_eek:.

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Chillums

Just throw up a link to the build doc your working from.   

HeavyMetalfx

PRR

Keep clicking, this should open 19" 50cm wide.
  • SUPPORTER

PRR

These are switches. Switching gain/response in amplifier stages. The only critical spec is P-type JFET. Should be simple. But JFETs are dying, and P-types died first.

N-types would need a negative supply AND a lot of re-rigging.

You could replace with 4066 CMOS but keeping the polarities straight is too much for my mind.

• SUPPORTER