Boss FA1 with no tone controls, how?

Started by Dimitree, August 18, 2023, 05:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimitree

hi everyone,
I have an almost completed FA1 pcb, I'd like to skip the Bass and Treble controls, and the Low Cut switch, and only keep the Volume control.
Are the tone controls neutral when they are at 50%? if so, bypassing them is as simple as putting a pair of 25K resistors where the pots are?
About the Low cut switch, should I just avoid mounting C2 and R4?
thank you

antonis

Et voila.. :icon_wink:

edit: Actually, C3 value should be the sum of C2+C3 (517μF) but, IMHO, 470μF should be OK also.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

I suggest you breadboard this to see if you like it without the low cut. It might be great - but you might also need to play with C3 and /or C10 to get a good tone...I know as a guitarist that I hate a 'high fidelity' boost - it punches the amp in all the wrong ways...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

bluelagoon

Heres a schematic the way I like to do it, with the Baxandall tone stack subtracted.
With the added in T1 Trim pot it allows to adjust the gain of the second stage
I took out the Low cut switch which basically leaves it with the better setting of no cut and full bass
If you want permanent cut Bass just put back in the R4 470k
If you want the selector switch for both settings add back the original Boss low cut switch as per original schem.

bluelagoon

Quoteedit: Actually, C3 value should be the sum of C2+C3 (517μF) but, IMHO, 470μF should be OK also.. :icon_wink:

Antonis, You do mean 470nF Dont You? :icon_smile:

antonis

Quote from: bluelagoon on August 18, 2023, 07:17:18 AM

Yeaaappp .. :icon_redface:

P.S.
C4 is superfluous..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

bluelagoon

So they say about C4, But I think I read somewhere it was there just in case as a cover all bases unexpensive addition.

duck_arse

Quote from: antonis on August 18, 2023, 07:43:26 AM
Quote from: bluelagoon on August 18, 2023, 07:17:18 AM

Yeaaappp .. :icon_redface:

P.S.
C4 is superfluous..

antonis, bluelagoon - C2 is 47uF non-polar. C3 is 47nF poly. what is the sum now, 47 microFarads or 470 microFarads?
granny at the G next satdy eh.

antonis

No Sir..

C2 is 0.47 and C3 is .047 ..
(C3 is an order of magnitude lower than whatever C2 is..)

duck_arse

Quote from: antonis on August 18, 2023, 04:59:31 PM
No Sir..

C2 is 0.47 and C3 is .047 ..
(C3 is an order of magnitude lower than whatever C2 is..)

is that a multiplier dot, or a speck of dust? Boss should be ashamed of that diagram.
granny at the G next satdy eh.

ElectricDruid

This is why the "4K7" or "2n2" style of writing values was invented. Much more reliably read after repeated dodgy photocopying!

antonis

Quote from: duck_arse on August 19, 2023, 10:00:10 AM
Boss should be ashamed of that diagram.

So, could you plz yell on Boss and not on me or bluelagoon..?? :icon_lol:

PRR

Quote from: duck_arse on August 19, 2023, 10:00:10 AM
is that a multiplier dot, or a speck of dust? Boss should be ashamed of that diagram.

The other fly-specks are all smaller or larger than the C2 C3 fly-specks.

Also a trace of math leads to 22Hz and 230Hz as reasonable corners.
  • SUPPORTER