Golden Fleece transistor bias

Started by m7b52000, May 09, 2024, 12:41:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m7b52000

the standard version of the schematic has a collector resistor 47k which results in a collector voltage of 2.7V. Is there a theoretical advantage in getting the collector voltage closer to 4.5 V e.g reducing coll resistor to  22k which would result in 4.1V. I appreciate that the gain would decrease but this could be offset by reducing the emitter resistor?

cheers

Rob Strand

Quote from: m7b52000 on May 09, 2024, 12:41:22 AMthe standard version of the schematic has a collector resistor 47k which results in a collector voltage of 2.7V. Is there a theoretical advantage in getting the collector voltage closer to 4.5 V e.g reducing coll resistor to  22k which would result in 4.1V. I appreciate that the gain would decrease but this could be offset by reducing the emitter resistor
These things are what they are.  If the bias is off then so be it.  However, that shouldn't stop you playing around. Maybe you can make an improvement.

There's no simple way to compensate for the gain drop.  A lower collector voltage gives more gain.  Within reason the gain difference isn't enormous.

You can tweak the bias three ways:
- decrease the collector resistor Rc
- increase the emitter resistor Re
- increase the base resistor Rb

You might find you need to change the values a *lot* more than a factor of 2 to bias at 4.5V.
If bias to a collector voltage of 4.5V, all pretty much end-up with the same gain.  Changing
the collector resistor will require a larger emitter bypass cap.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

antonis

Quote from: m7b52000 on May 09, 2024, 12:41:22 AMthe standard version of the schematic has a collector resistor 47k which results in a collector voltage of 2.7V. Is there a theoretical advantage in getting the collector voltage closer to 4.5 V ?

Getting Collector voltage closer to half the supply level (ideally to [VCC + VE] / 2) you obtain symmetrical swing..

As it is, Collector can swing all the way up (almost +9V) but only down to VE + VCEsat ..

In the former case, your output amplitude should be a +/- diode forward voltage drop (oversimplified approximation but let it be for the time being) where in the later case it might be even lower for input signal waveform positive part..
(it should be already clipped due to Collector to Emitter restricted headroom..)

So, Collector bias level it's clearly a matter of taste.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..