Fuzz Face Kill Switch Help

Started by fenderguy81, May 19, 2024, 04:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fenderguy81

So I made a fuzz face with a kill switch for a friend and everything seems to be working fine except that the bypass signal only works when the volume pot is up a notch. When the volume pot is all the way down, set to 0, it kills the signal completely. Is there a way to modify the pedal so that the bypassed signal will work when the volume pot is set to zero? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

duck_arse

what exactly are you trying to kill? how does kill differ from bypass?
"Bring on the nonsense".

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

fenderguy81

Quote from: duck_arse on May 20, 2024, 10:31:04 AMwhat exactly are you trying to kill? how does kill differ from bypass?

I have the kill switch set to mute the clean and/or fuzz signal when the switch is engaged so essentially a mute switch.

duck_arse

well you will need to wire the bypass switch properly, input and output. then just hang the kill on the output - when "bypassed", the kill will be bypassed. am I not understanding this rightly?

include kill in the circuit. bypass the circuit properly, true-ly. kill then doesn't/can't affect the bypassed.

if - kill, then - how bypass?
"Bring on the nonsense".

pinkjimiphoton

the solution is totally simple, dude. put the kill switch after the volume pot, and then it will work as you expect it to. use a normal bypass, and when its on, the killswitch will work. trying to have it work on both clean and fuzz, you would put it after the volume control and the footswitch. literally, between the bypass and the output jack.
that said... you're gonna have issues doing this, and likely will need some pull down resistors to keep the switching transients down.

but like with all things, look at what you have. look at your objective. figure out how to do it. the simplest solution is the right one most of the time.

if this doesn't solve your issue, hollah back.

good luck
pJp
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

fenderguy81

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on May 20, 2024, 11:29:08 AMthe solution is totally simple, dude. put the kill switch after the volume pot, and then it will work as you expect it to. use a normal bypass, and when its on, the killswitch will work. trying to have it work on both clean and fuzz, you would put it after the volume control and the footswitch. literally, between the bypass and the output jack.
that said... you're gonna have issues doing this, and likely will need some pull down resistors to keep the switching transients down.

but like with all things, look at what you have. look at your objective. figure out how to do it. the simplest solution is the right one most of the time.

if this doesn't solve your issue, hollah back.

good luck
pJp

Thanks for the information. I think I understand how to do it if I were to use a 3PDT, that way I can still have the LED, but I'm a bit hazy on how I would accomplish this with the current DPDT setup on both switches. Would you mind explaining in a little more detail how it could be done using the existing components? Thanks!