Joe Davisson's Vulcan preamp sound sample

Started by fentom_lord, May 26, 2024, 03:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fentom_lord

Hello, everyone. I just wanted to share a recording of Joe Davisson's 4-stage Vulcan-based guitar preamp. I used BC337 transistors because I had a lot of those. You can listen to it here:
https://m.soundcloud.com/user-996907905/joe_davisson_vulcan_preamp_bc3

Guitar: LTD MH 50 with pickups from Dean Vendetta 2
Amp: single-ended EL91 Fender Champ-a-like
Speakers: some 1980s 12" marked Celetion (mind the lack of S)
Settings change as I go. I do not touch the guitar's volume knob, I just play with the knobs on the preamp.
The values I used for the tone stack, presence and level are different than those on Mr. Davisson's schematic because I only had pots for tube amps. All related caps have been scaled accordingly. Moreover, I had to use 22k collector resistors to get down to roughly 4.5 VDC. Everything else is stock.
Enjoy.
Oh, and please forgive my sloppy playing 😅 I don't play as much as I used to...
M.
EDIT: I forgot to mention that it's still on my breadboard, hence the noise. I'm going to try and tweak some values to see what happens.

fentom_lord

I added another gain stage and tweaked it again. Here's how it sounds now

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-996907905/joe_davisson_preamp_modded_bc3

Again, I'd like to apologize for the sloppy playing. Oh, and I realized that in the previous recording I had the bright switch on.
Enjoy.

Mark Hammer

I've made one of Joe's Vulcans and a Blackfire as well.  Hard to go wrong with any of his ideas.  Very thoughtful.  NOT for easy listening jazz, though.   :icon_wink:

fentom_lord

That's true. His ideas have enormous potential, even if you simply copy and paste one gain stage or delete one or two of those. In the last recording, the preamp has one extra stage and some minor RC tweaks. I can draw a schematic if anyone's interested.

soggybag

I've built a few of these everyone I gave them to likes the sound. Besides the sound, what's great about this is it uses bog standard and easy to source parts that are not so specific.

What's going on with the diode at the base of each transistor still stumps me.

marcelomd

Hi,
On your second clip there's some noise in the background, ticking. Very clear at the start and when you stop playing. Is this from the preamp?

Sounds very, very good. I'm playing with cascaded MOSFET stages. Same general idea as the vulcan.

Thanks

fentom_lord

Hey, marcelomd,
The preamp is still on the breadboard, so there's no shielding whatsoever, and because it's high gain, it picks up noise from the air and amplifies it.
HTH

fentom_lord

Quote from: soggybag on June 12, 2024, 10:26:22 AMWhat's going on with the diode at the base of each transistor still stumps me.

In a similar thread of mine over at ssguitar, user Umlaut did some simulations and wrote:

"Oh, and the diodes do mimic grid clipping: they chop almost half of the waveform before the gain stage. Very clever design with just a few parts"

Joe Davisson wrote on his website that they prevent hard saturation of the transistors. How that is accomplished is beyond me. I'm just a mere hobbyist with little knowledge of solid-state circuitry.

printer2

Some easy shielding is to put a metal sheet under the circuit and ground it to the circuit. Even a sheet of aluminum foil will help, I put an insulator over it, between the foil and breadboard. A thin sheet, even a pressed boar clipboard will work, as one example.
Fred

fentom_lord

Thanks for the hint, printer2,
That's a brilliant idea. I'll do it as soon as possible.

Elijah-Baley

With an extra gain stage it is really aggressive.
Do you want post the schematic, just for reference?
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

fentom_lord

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on June 13, 2024, 03:13:08 AMDo you want post the schematic, just for reference?

No problem. I'll do it as soon as possible.

fentom_lord

Hi, Elijah-Baley, and everyone else who might be interested.
As requested, I'm posting a schematic of the guitar preamp from the 2nd recording in its current iteration. I'm thinking about adding some RC filtering like I would do with a high-gain tube preamp. You know, feeding 2 or 3 stages off a dedicated PSU node.

And here's Joe's design for comparison.
https://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/sch/v4preamp.html

I think this thing could take another gain stage if someone needed ultra-turbo-insane overdrive for some more extreme metal playing. I'll try that myself, but I'm out of space on my BB at the moment, so it's going to have to wait a while.

Enjoy,
M.

antonis

Quote from: fentom_lord on June 12, 2024, 01:45:47 PM
Quote from: soggybag on June 12, 2024, 10:26:22 AMWhat's going on with the diode at the base of each transistor still stumps me.
Joe Davisson wrote on his website that they prevent hard saturation of the transistors. How that is accomplished is beyond me.

They act the same way as if they were placed between Bases and GND (AC)..
(they prevent BJTs from being driven too negative hence more close to distortion than fuzz..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

marcelomd

Quote from: fentom_lord on June 13, 2024, 05:27:03 AMHi, Elijah-Baley, and everyone else who might be interested.

Suggestion: Try a buffer after the volume control. Or at least after the tone stack, so it wont interact with whatever comes after.

antonis

Quote from: marcelomd on June 13, 2024, 07:34:49 AMSuggestion: Try a buffer after the volume control. Or at least after the tone stack, so it wont interact with whatever comes after.

Or move last stage buffer after Tonestack.. :icon_wink:

For perfectionists only: :icon_lol:
(in case of buffer repositioning..)
Make last stage CE amp Collector resistor 10k and Emitter resistor 470R..
(retains bias and gain in the cost of current consumption..)
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

fentom_lord

Quote from: marcelomd on June 13, 2024, 07:34:49 AMSuggestion: Try a buffer after the volume control. Or at least after the tone stack, so it wont interact with whatever comes after.

Thanks for for the tip, Marcelo.
Initially, I wanted to put this preamp together just to see how it sounds because I wasn't able to find any samples of this particular design anywhere. Because, as Joe Davisson wrote on his Analog Alchemy website, it's based on the Vulcan circuit, I figured it would be similar in tone. I heard the bjt Vulcan on YouTube, I believe they were soggybag's videos btw, and although it sounded good, it's not a tone that I am after, so I wasn't expecting to use it myself. I decided to try it nonetheless and, boy, I was amazed! In fact, I liked it so much that I'm currently working on a switchable multi-channel preamp for my pedalboard with this circuit doing the dirty deeds. I just need a clean channel but that shouldn't be a problem. So, I was going to place an output buffer in the final build anyway.

Quote from: antonis on June 13, 2024, 08:03:07 AM(in case of buffer repositioning..)
Make last stage CE amp Collector resistor 10k and Emitter resistor 470R..
(retains bias and gain in the cost of current consumption..)

And feed the tone stack off the collector?

antonis

Quote from: fentom_lord on June 13, 2024, 08:09:37 AMAnd feed the tone stack off the collector?

Yeaaappp.. :icon_wink:

Tonestack input DC level might be a VBE (about 600mV) higher than previously (due to buffer absence) which, IMHO, shouldn't upset anything..

Of course, moved buffer should need its own bias configuration(*) (it's not directly biased from previous stage anymore..) and a DC blocking cap between Tonestack output and itself.. :icon_wink:

(*)IMHO, it should have to be of high impendance (piece of cake with extra one capacitor & one resistor) for not loading that high values Tonestack.. :icon_wink:

fentom_lord

Thanks a lot, Antonis. I think I understand.

antonis

Just an example of tone altering via a SPDT (ON-OFF-ON) switch.. :icon_wink:
(from metal to blusey..)