Tape Echo Unit Bulb Replacement

Started by sarakisof, May 27, 2024, 12:30:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duck_arse

Quote from: Rob Strand on June 07, 2024, 01:37:25 AM
Quote from: duck_arse on June 06, 2024, 10:46:42 AMbut on jaycar jacks, the plastic melts as you solder - then you throw it away.
When I was a kid I'm sure heated up connectors well over the intended time and they still survived.   The plastic was really hard almost like Bakelite and all the riveting was tight.  Nowadays I'm almost hesitant to solder plastic connectors.

I find the tayda ones OK, the heat makes the cut edge of the pip dig in more. the jaycar ones have a dimple, with no edge to grab, and it just melts in and then slides.
granny at the G next satdy eh.

sarakisof

Quote from: Rob Strand on June 07, 2024, 01:37:25 AM
Quote from: duck_arse on June 06, 2024, 10:46:42 AMbut on jaycar jacks, the plastic melts as you solder - then you throw it away.
When I was a kid I'm sure heated up connectors well over the intended time and they still survived.   The plastic was really hard almost like Bakelite and all the riveting was tight.  Nowadays I'm almost hesitant to solder plastic connectors.
This

A bit out of topic but as long as we're talking about how older connectors are day & night compared to most modern ones.
Have you actually ever seen an open jack poly switched connector like this before?
I think I had salvaged them from some late 70s spinet Italian organs which I had saved from garbage years ago. 4 seperated lugs for each Tip & Sleeve.
8 connections in total.
Man those weight a ton, thinking of a common jack's weight. Heavy duty thing. Quality iron, lugs, screws and bakelite in there. Oh, those good old times.

What would you do with them? Any future project or idea I could practical use them in?

PRR

Those are 'cheap' imitations of a Western Electric Compact Patchbay Jack.

Yes, aside from tarnish, they are far better than any stage-grade jack you can buy today.
  • SUPPORTER