Dragonfly perf layout? (silicon tonebender)

Started by ghostsauce, May 29, 2024, 03:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GibsonGM

I will soon. I got into the perf I had built, and it's a mess. The values I needed to use are way different than what they should be; I probably used a pot to dial them in. That bothers me (like, 50k on Q3??). Something isn't right.  So I'm going to make a new board, lol.  It's been my experience that more than 2 transistors, you might want to make or find a layout (I use perfboard) instead of winging it, ha ha!
The enclosure is all painted and labeled, though!  :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

cab42

Quote from: GibsonGM on June 11, 2024, 07:35:11 AMI have to paint the enclosure, maybe I'll get around to that soon!

I have a picture of Fat Freddy's cat on mine ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"Rick, your work is almost disgusting, it's so beautiful.  Meaning: it's so darned pretty that when I look at my own stuff, it makes me want to puke my guts out."
Ripthorn

Focalized

Here's a vero you've probably already seen if you searched layouts. I've sometimes used vero layouts on perf board.

GibsonGM

That's a good one for vero board.  Without a layout, if the thing is more than 2 transistors, I tend to crowd everything in worrying I'll run out of room ha ha.  This is one Q too big to freehand, and just a little too small to want to make a PCB for.

The one I'll redo the TB using is this one; it's easy to see it's functional since it's literally the circuit!  Just a couple of mods needed - C7 would hit my input jack so I have to move it, that kind of thing. Not doing the SPST bypass cap thing at C5.

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Focalized

I put this together with the vero layout I posted. Which seems to match the schematic in the first post. I couldn't get it to work until I removed the 1N914 diode on Q2. Just put a jumper to match some other layouts. Don't know what that diode is suppose to be doing. My sound is very compressed haven't tried different transistors yet.

With the gain up and bias high I get a low feedback tone. If I back it off just right I can get a sub harmonic with certain notes but dull tone. Which is cool.

GibsonGM

I've been messing with this again, like I said. I rebuilt it...I ended up with a 2N3904 as Q1, MPSA42 for Q2, and 2N5088 for Q3.  Seemed to sound the best to me.  The varying transistor gains does seem to make a difference...more 'clarity' with the MPSA42, IMHO.   

The catch - I replaced Q2's collector resistor with 47k, which is the original value. Anything below 22k sounded like crap.    I ended up using a 3.3k resistor in series with a 25k pot wired as variable resistor for the bias control (27k turned out to be the sweet spot for me, on Q3, for some reason).  10k in Q2 just sounded like crap to me no matter what (impedance issue, to me it made it way muffled, lost most of high end).   

This is a great circuit for the breadboard so you can change things!  It sounds pretty good on a clean amp channel, and REALLY good with attack dialed back a bit into a slightly dirty tube amp.  It does NOT like humbuckers, at least to my ear.   Strat and Tele sound like live Jimmy Page ca. 1969 in those shows in Denmark, ha ha.  It's definitely very sensitive to amp settings/attack/bias, and a little adjustment when you change anything seems to be in order.

With the biased rolled down, you can get down to glitched Atari sounds, but come back up from there and it does that very nice gating thing   8)  Glad I re-visited this one, and now I can solder it up and get it in the steampunk enclosure I painted up! 
  • SUPPORTER

Focalized

Yours seems similar to the good sounds I found with mine. These are very sensitive to changes it seems. Probably why I have so many Big Muff builds. They always deliver.

GibsonGM

A quick PS: I found the low end a bit TOO wooly on the TB, and a few mods I did to change that changed the entire thing too much (so it wouldn't be a TB anymore).   

Rolling off the lows in my DAW sounded really good, so I thought - why not try a c(**&ed wah in front of it?  That sounded REAL good!  It's what the old guys did in 1968.

And then - hey, a Rangemaster has that upper mid peak, let's try that....WOW. It plays extremely well with the RM, and it's easy to leave the TB attack slightly down and use the RM level to control the distortion.  Try it.

Just an observation, back to jamming   8)
  • SUPPORTER

Focalized

I put an auto wah, SWAH in front of dark bassy fuzzes with long decay and it gives a nice juicy sound. Roll the guitar volume back a bit to get the Wah working.