t-rex mudhoney II issue: popping sound when switched off

Started by nooneknows, June 04, 2024, 04:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nooneknows

hi,

I have an issue with my t-rex mudhoney II: it has two independent rat based circuits, the circuits are alternative, if one is on and the other off and you push the button of the one off, this goes regularly on and the other switches off, no noise at all, but when a I switch the one that is on off, so both are disengaged, I hear a loud 'POP'.

I imagine there is a leaky cap somewhere, the circuit is smd and the switch circuit is controlled by a 4013 flip flop and some FET , I guess. I tried putting a 1M R from the input and ground but the POP is still there.

as anyone encountered this problem ? any idea how to solve it? is there any scheme for the mudhoney II (I only found the one with a single mudhoney)?

thank you

stonerbox

Could be that the circuit that is already engaged amplifies the other switch's "pop" when you step on it. Do you have a schematic? Sounds like DC leakage to me. New input cap could be the first test.

Trace the input cable to the PCB, find the 0.022(?) input cap. Desolder and replace with a normal clunky cap.
There is nothing more to be said or to be done tonight, so hand me over my violin and let us try to forget for half an hour the miserable weather and the still more miserable ways of our fellowmen. - Holmes

nooneknows

Quote from: stonerbox on June 04, 2024, 05:25:23 PMCould be that the circuit that is already engaged amplifies the other switch's "pop" when you step on it. Could you give us some gutshots? Do you have a schematic?

I don't have a schematic, that's what I was looking for, trying to find out what could cause the pop.
I habe no pictures of mine but there are two articles on an other problem (fixed) about this pedal, lots of gutshot there :

https://falseelectronics.blogspot.com/2017/03/t-rex-mudoney-ii.html

https://falseelectronics.blogspot.com/2017/06/t-rex-mudhoney-ii-again.html

stonerbox

Aha, it got FET-switching that either routes the signal into the pedal or out. There can have occured some minor or major damage to the IC or some other part, causing it to pop. The images are very blurry and not your Mudhoney, we need better pictures of that chip, and preferably the entire PCB + readings of all kinds of pins, to really be able to help you solve this. It can be solved but not in the dark.
There is nothing more to be said or to be done tonight, so hand me over my violin and let us try to forget for half an hour the miserable weather and the still more miserable ways of our fellowmen. - Holmes