LEAKY TRANSISTORS FZ-1 repair/build

Started by mozz, June 06, 2024, 08:35:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mozz

Looking for suggestions for trannys for a original FZ-1. Friend has one he is fixing for another friend, no output. Q1 2n270 has a leg broken off. He tried to resolder but no go. I tried to tell him these are somewhat collectable but he ended up putting NTE158 in all 3 spots and broke the leg off another 2n270! Still no signal and he said there is a lot of noise. I think the nte158 are too leaky. 2n270 actually crosses to nte102.

I told him to stop there and i will get him a set of trannys that will work with the stock resistor values. I have some fz1 pcbs with sockets and have been swapping out some looking for some semi-correct voltages. Q1E about 1v?  That appears when i use trannys with about 250ua leakage . There may be potential for 2n408's if i can find 3 with about 250/275/300ua leakage, AC151 also might work but are really touchy with temp changes.

I did read somewhere there are russian trannys that had high leakage, gt402,403,404's ??? I do have a big selection of MP'S and some GT'S , any suggestions?
Try to find 3 the same model so it doesn't look toohacked up, i guess the guy is going to sell it once fixed. I tired to say if it was original even if it didn't work it would be worth more than a mismatch hacked unit.
  • SUPPORTER

tonyharker

Banzai in Germany have some originals at 8.31 Euros. I don't know what the postage to US would be.

Tony

mozz

They're not RCA so i doubt they will work. I have brands other than RCA in 2n270, and they don't work,  leakage is not high enough. There are also black vs silver RCA in 2n270. Silver appears to be the original ones used in the pedals. Early transistor radios often used the black ones as output transistors, they are hit or miss. They are often matched pairs though with a color dot on top. Maybe the silver were lower grade and cheaper, hence more leakage.

Hot here today but going to go through some Russian trannys and see if i can find any part numbers with high leakage.
  • SUPPORTER

mozz

I have got some 2n408s to work in the FZ-1 using stock resistor values. Only certain date/lot codes, gains are about 70, leakage about 250-300, other date codes won't work leakage is lower 100-150. SFT352 work also but noisy. Cooler today so hopefully they still work.
  • SUPPORTER