Aion Solaris Fuzz help

Started by TheSystem, June 06, 2024, 05:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSystem

Hello,

I built a Solaris from a kit from the Aion site in February. It was working great for months. Sounded awesome as well.

Yesterday I engaged (LED ON) it and got no output. When off, I get sound and the volume is good and the audio is clean. So it seems the True Bypass is ok.

I get the following voltages when I test Q1/Q2:

Q1 Test points -0.709 E 0.00 B -0.1.1 C -0.683

Q2 Test points -4.53 E -0.612 B -0.684 C -4.57

I had the contour just above 9:00 as stated in the docs. These #s look right to me based on what I saw when I built it as well as what is in the docs.

I see these voltages on the IC pins:

PIN

1 8.95

2 4.80

3 0.0

4 -4.04

5 -8..77

6 2.54

7 1.40

8 8.94

I put my ground lead in a screw hole of the case when I checked the IC voltages. I have no idea what these values should be at the IC Pins except I read in the build docs that PIN 5 should be -9V which what I get. The docs say that this means the "charge pump itself or the surrounding parts" should be working.

I reflowed some solder joints and cleaned the PCB board with deoxit in case any flux was still there and causing a short. No improvement.

I see something that I think is not right but not 100% sure and that is I saw continuity between PCB IN and GND on the foot switch PCB. I pulled the cable from the main board and no more continuity between PCB IN and GND on the foot switch PCB. I tested the points on the main PCB labeled IN and GND with the footswitch PCB still disconnected and I get continuity there. No idea if this a problem or not though.

My next move to was come here and ask for assistance and someone can point me in the right direction then go back to my bench. I have not pulled any resistors or caps and tested yet.

Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks

Brian

ElectricDruid

Welcome!

The pin 5 voltage on the voltage inverter IC looks ok, so I think we can assume the power is ok.

I don't understand your transistor readings though - how have you got *four* voltages for a device with only *three* legs?!?

PRR

Quote from: ElectricDruid on June 06, 2024, 05:29:24 PMyou got *four* voltages for a device with only *three* legs?

FWIW, this is how Aion expresses it:
Quoteturn the Q2 bias trimmer until the multimeter shows -4.5V
• Q1: Emitter 0V (left leg); Base -0.2V (center leg); Collector -0.7V (right leg)
• Q2: Emitter -0.5V (left leg); Base -0.7V (center leg); Collector -4.5V (right leg)

By inspection: a happy build will show Q1E at zero and Q1C equal Q2B. Both of these agree (0.683 versus 0.684 is same-as). It seems hard to get here with a major fault.

When a thing works for months, then fails, look for bad solder joint(s). Get it out in bright light with a lens and peer. Poke it with a pencil or your finger (its only 9V) to see where it cuts-out, or if you can induce finger-buzz only part-way along the path.

• SUPPORTER

TheSystem

My issue was flux got under the 3-PIN header on the Main board that connects back to the FS board (OUT) and caused corrosion and apparently broke the connections between OUT & GND to the Volume pot lugs 1 & 2.

I got no continuity even though there was low output.   I hardwired lugs 1 & 2 to GND & OUT on the main board.  That fixed it.

Here is what I see when it is working.

Voltages when I test Q1/Q2:

Q1 Test points -0.709 E 0.00 B -0.1 C -0.683
Q2 Test points -4.53 E -0.612 B -0.684 C -4.57

I can adjust the variable pots and these Voltages change accordingly. 

I see these voltages on the IC pins (Charge pump):

PIN (V)

1 8.95
2 4.80
3 0.0
4 -4.04
5 -8..77
6 2.54
7 1.40
8 8.94

I tested the using the methods described in the Aion Solaris doc.  Maybe someone will find it helpful.

Thanks
Brian

TheSystem

Quote from: ElectricDruid on June 06, 2024, 05:29:24 PMWelcome!

The pin 5 voltage on the voltage inverter IC looks ok, so I think we can assume the power is ok.

I don't understand your transistor readings though - how have you got *four* voltages for a device with only *three* legs?!?

Well I suck.   I did not realize that you and the other person responded so long ago.  I looked for replies even but managed to miss these.

The Aion Solaris has 2 "Test" points on the Main board, one for Q1 and Q2.   They are between the Collectors and GND for Q1 & Q2.   Those are what I called Test Points.   For some reason, they are slightly different than the reading I got when I put my DMM probe in a case screw hole to connect to GND and the actual collector pins.   Not by much though.

The other 3 are voltages between GND and each leg.  Yeah so only 3 legs, Emitter, Base and Collector.

Sorry for such a long delay.

Brian 

TheSystem

Quote from: PRR on June 06, 2024, 09:40:54 PM
Quote from: ElectricDruid on June 06, 2024, 05:29:24 PMyou got *four* voltages for a device with only *three* legs?

FWIW, this is how Aion expresses it:
Quoteturn the Q2 bias trimmer until the multimeter shows -4.5V
• Q1: Emitter 0V (left leg); Base -0.2V (center leg); Collector -0.7V (right leg)
• Q2: Emitter -0.5V (left leg); Base -0.7V (center leg); Collector -4.5V (right leg)

By inspection: a happy build will show Q1E at zero and Q1C equal Q2B. Both of these agree (0.683 versus 0.684 is same-as). It seems hard to get here with a major fault.

When a thing works for months, then fails, look for bad solder joint(s). Get it out in bright light with a lens and peer. Poke it with a pencil or your finger (its only 9V) to see where it cuts-out, or if you can induce finger-buzz only part-way along the path.

Hi Paul,

I did find some solder issues on top of what I found this am with the PCB pads.

It is back and sounds as great as ever.

I am way more prepared now to deal with issues like these.

I hand drew the schematic after studying it in the docs as well as the board component layouts.  This exercise really helped me to understand exactly what I was looking at on the schematic and the Aion nomenclature.  It was quite cool to do this and feel confident what I was doing was correct after gaining this knowledge.

Sorry for the delay.

Brian