Adding DeProfundis mod board to Bow Echo delay

Started by FootSolder, June 15, 2024, 09:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FootSolder

Interesting, with or without power the time pot lugs measure zero and that doesn't change as it's rotated, which can't be right

I'm wondering if I should undo the change suggested earlier, where the 330R on the modulation board was removed and the Depth 1 lug moved from the board to ground. Before that change I was at least getting a clear delay (so the TIME pot was working then) and a strong modulation when the LDR was connected. That seemed to be closer to getting both effects working together.

ElectricDruid

If the Depth pot is connected to the LED side of the vactrol, it *can't* affect the Time pot when there's no power. When the power's on, ok, the LED lights/doesn't, changes the LDR, changes the Time pot value. With no power, that's impossible. The other name for vactrols is "optoisolators" for a reason.

If the Time pot is showing zero no matter it's position when the power's off, we need to find out why. That can't be right, as you say.

duck_arse

Quote from: FootSolder on June 18, 2024, 04:42:57 PMInteresting, with or without power the time pot lugs measure zero

as we always say, never never NEVER with power. ON for voltages, OFF for resistances, always.

I had a slight fever

PRR

• SUPPORTER

FootSolder

Man, this is not getting any less mystifying. I disconnected everything from the TIME pot and it measured correctly through the range. Then I just started randomly connecting stuff.

Connecting one side of the LDR to pin 6 of the delay PT2399 and the other to ground yielded a lovely, thick modulation, with the TIME pot disconnected.

I could not resurrect the delay with any combination of lug wiring, even changed the 2399. I will go through the board again tomorrow and see if anything is shorting.

FootSolder

Just to conclude, I ended up connecting TIME pot lug 1 to both the delay board and mod board (one side of LDR) TIME 1, connected TIME pot 2/3 to the delay board only, then added a switch to connect SW2 (other side of LDR) to ground. Not quite what I was hoping to achieve, but one switch setting provides full delay, the other a shorter delay with the modulation circuit. I have no idea why the delay time is compromised by adding the mod circuit, would be interested to know!