Lo-fi MN3008 double/triple delay add-on?

Started by tokenofdevotion, June 17, 2024, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tokenofdevotion

I recently got a hold of this weird vintage radio "echo chamber" unit that's meant for broadcasting. It uses 1 single MN3008 that can hardly be seen on the far right.

I like it as it is, but I was wondering if adding an extra or 2 more MN3008's in a daughterboard would be viable in the same way of how the aqua puss double delay add-on on veroboard is done. I have never modded a delay before and I'm not too interested in high fidelity or nice bandwith BBD repeats, the more dirt the better I would say. But before I start messing around with some spare MN3008's I thought I'd ask for some help here. Please tell me if I went insane!

ElectricDruid

Image is missing for me in both Chrome and Safari. Is that a problem at my end or yours?!? ???

tokenofdevotion

Looks like my url embedding abilities are not it. It should be working now  :icon_cry:

Mark Hammer

That's an "interesting" connector/cable at the rear of it.  What connections does it make?

tokenofdevotion

It is interesting indeed. Besides being an "echo chamber" it also has a compressor circuit (with controls) and since it's for broadcasting it has a "call" function. So I guess all the extra cables are meant for communicating with radio transceiver devices and a hand-held microphone with buttons on it

ElectricDruid

One solution would be to pull the MN3008 out and put a MN3005 in it's place. That'd double the delay with no other changes. Simpler than a daughter board.

However, if you've got some 3008's that are hanging around looking lonely, perhaps it makes sense to reunite them with one of their own. I'd still remove the chip that's in there, in order to add a socket where the daughterboard could be connected.
You'd then have all the required supply/bias voltages on the socket pins, plus the two clock phases. You'd have to connect up your BBDs in a chain, Out of one to In of the next one. The first one in the chain would take its input *from* the socket, and the last one would send its output *to* the socket. All the clock pins get parallelled up, and you hope the clock they used has enough oomph to drive 6000+ stages. ;)

The daughterboard itself wouldn't be much beyond the three chips, and the output resistors for the intermediate stages (the last BBD will have those on the original PCB wired to the socket pins).

Does that make sense?

If it all goes belly up and really won't play, you can always unplug the daughter board and stick one chip back in the socket.

HTH

tokenofdevotion

Quote from: ElectricDruid on June 17, 2024, 01:57:59 PMThe daughterboard itself wouldn't be much beyond the three chips, and the output resistors for the intermediate stages (the last BBD will have those on the original PCB wired to the socket pins).

Yes! That clarifies a lot. So, assuming this unit has a 3101 (still need to verify). That would mean that I can still use this veroboard with no changes at all?