Current feedback single-ended input stage + push-pull VAS?

Started by fryingpan, June 17, 2024, 02:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

antonis

Quote from: fryingpan on June 26, 2024, 02:42:25 PMI said derivative. ;D

Didn't know (till now) that Collector/Drain currents give a toss for differentiation.. :icon_wink:
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Rob Strand

Quote from: antonis on June 26, 2024, 04:04:01 PMDidn't know (till now) that Collector/Drain currents give a toss for differentiation..

The derivative gives the small signal behavior.  gm = Ic/VT for a transistor comes from the diode equation.  The small signal idea is that with small enough signal swings the device is linear around some bias point.  So you can have a gm for a JFET or a BJT.

For large signal behaviour you need to consider the non-linearity.  You can think in rough terms that there's a Vin and a Iout for the device.  However the large signal ratio Iout/Vin doesn't give you gm unless the device is perfectly linear.   If you compare a small MOSFET to a BJT  the BJT doesn't do much until Vbe is 0.5V to 0.6V whereas a small MOSFET needs at least 2V.   Even if the small gm was the same at some bias point the large signal Vin is going to be larger for the MOSFET because of that offset.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

fryingpan

It's more that with a linear derivative you can expect a more gradual transition from the ohmic region to the saturation region of a FET, compared to the more abrupt transition from the active region to cutoff for a BJT. I expect that the ideal double cascode configuration should be a combination of a BJT for the amplifier itself (more gain) and a FET for the common base/gate device, so that there is a slower and more gradual transition from an active load (FET on) to a passive load (FET in the ohmic region).

There will probably be more of a soft clipping action with less global feedback. If I weren't busy with stuff I'd model it myself.

antonis

Quote from: fryingpan on June 27, 2024, 04:27:31 AMIt's more that with a linear derivative you can expect a more gradual transition from the ohmic region to the saturation region of a FET, compared to the more abrupt transition from the active region to cutoff for a BJT.

True & Correct but what is called FET's saturation region corresponds to BJT's active one..
Unless I got you wrongly, you compare reverse procedures.. :icon_wink:

fryingpan

Quote from: antonis on June 27, 2024, 05:07:32 AM
Quote from: fryingpan on June 27, 2024, 04:27:31 AMIt's more that with a linear derivative you can expect a more gradual transition from the ohmic region to the saturation region of a FET, compared to the more abrupt transition from the active region to cutoff for a BJT.

True & Correct but what is called FET's saturation region corresponds to BJT's active one..
Unless I got you wrongly, you compare reverse procedures.. :icon_wink:
The order was not important (if it's gradual one way it's gradual the other way  :icon_biggrin: ), but of course saturation -> ohmic = active -> cutoff.