Boss ge 7 won't turn on

Started by Jun1001, June 19, 2024, 12:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jun1001

I bought a boss ge-7 secondhand, but it doesn't power on. So I contacted the seller and bought it at a very low price because it doesn't power on.
The pcb looks very clean, so I wonder where it would be if there was a problem

After reading that there may be a problem with the capacitor and diode in the middle of the right side of the picture on the back, I remove it and measured it with a multimeter, but since my multimeter is a very cheap product, there was no problem with the measurement result, so I put it back on

This article is written in a translator, so I'm sorry if there's anything weird

GibsonGM

This may help, at least to understand how the switching works. Schematics for the GE-7 (same as most other Boss pedals) can also be found on the internet.  You are going to have to read some voltages for us to be able to help.

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/bosstech.pdf
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

ElectricDruid

Welcome Jun!

How are you powering the pedal? With a power supply, or with a battery? Could you take a photo that shows all the power wiring please? On the photo, we can only see wires going off the side.

You could also try putting your multimeter (set to voltage) on pins 8 and 4 of those '022 8-pin chips. I'm guessing those are TL022 low current op-amps, so you should see 9V across those supply pins. If the board has no power, you won't get any voltage there.

Jun1001

Quote from: ElectricDruid on June 19, 2024, 01:53:58 PMWelcome Jun!

How are you powering the pedal? With a power supply, or with a battery? Could you take a photo that shows all the power wiring please? On the photo, we can only see wires going off the side.

You could also try putting your multimeter (set to voltage) on pins 8 and 4 of those '022 8-pin chips. I'm guessing those are TL022 low current op-amps, so you should see 9V across those supply pins. If the board has no power, you won't get any voltage there.

I'm using a new 9V battery. Then can I connect the battery and measure it with a multimeter on 8 and 4 pins of 022? Or do I have to press the power button after connecting and measure it?

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Jun1001 on June 19, 2024, 02:19:32 PMI'm using a new 9V battery. Then can I connect the battery and measure it with a multimeter on 8 and 4 pins of 022? Or do I have to press the power button after connecting and measure it?

Power button?! Does the GE-7 have a power button now?

You might have to plug a guitar lead into the input, to power it up. Is that what you meant?

HTH

Jun1001

Quote from: ElectricDruid on June 19, 2024, 03:45:28 PM
Quote from: Jun1001 on June 19, 2024, 02:19:32 PMI'm using a new 9V battery. Then can I connect the battery and measure it with a multimeter on 8 and 4 pins of 022? Or do I have to press the power button after connecting and measure it?

Power button?! Does the GE-7 have a power button now?

You might have to plug a guitar lead into the input, to power it up. Is that what you meant?

HTH

yes. Thank you for answering and sorry for my wrong knowledge.
I'm not sure if I did it right, but after connecting the battery, input and output, I measured pin 4 and pin 8 of three 022, but the measured value keeps coming up as zero.

R.G.

This pedal uses a single reverse-biased diode for polarity protection. In the Boss schematic, this is D5. It is possible that this diode is short-circuited. Check D5 and see if this has happened in your pedal.

Reverse biased diodes are good for reverse protection in some cases, but connecting a high current or AC (not DC) power supply to the pedal can burn out the protection diode, making it shorted. When this happens, it will act unpowered with all power supplies, even batteries.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Jun1001

Quote from: R.G. on June 19, 2024, 04:59:15 PMThis pedal uses a single reverse-biased diode for polarity protection. In the Boss schematic, this is D5. It is possible that this diode is short-circuited. Check D5 and see if this has happened in your pedal.

Reverse biased diodes are good for reverse protection in some cases, but connecting a high current or AC (not DC) power supply to the pedal can burn out the protection diode, making it shorted. When this happens, it will act unpowered with all power supplies, even batteries.

Do you know where D5 is in the pcb? I keep looking but I can only see D1 to D4 and D6.

antonis

The only power diode on your PCB is the one next to electro cap (100μF according to Boss schematic) which, IMHO, looks fine.. :icon_wink:

But you can easily test it via a DMM in diode test mode.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Jun1001

Quote from: antonis on June 20, 2024, 04:58:30 AMThe only power diode on your PCB is the one next to electro cap (100μF according to Boss schematic) which, IMHO, looks fine.. :icon_wink:

But you can easily test it via a DMM in diode test mode.. :icon_wink:

The first thing I did when I first saw this pcb was to check that diode and the capacitor next to it. The diode was fine, I couldn't check the capacitor properly, but it looked fine :'(

GibsonGM

Gotta track from where power enters the board to where it stops. 

Got power at D5?

Is the battery snap or adapter (or both) broken?

If power at D5/cap, then where does the power trace break before the opamps?  Did someone get in there and create a short on the 9V trace?   Power off with jack plugged into input, what is the resistance reading across the battery snap (or D5 to ground)?   

All these basic questions have to be answered to get a sense of what might be going on.

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

antonis

Schematics with reverse polarity protection diode  marked as D5 correspond to the following PCBs..

OP's PCB is another kettle of fish.. :icon_wink:
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

It was what I found - should be close enough to find voltages!   :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER

antonis

Let's take it from the very first clueless beginning..

Is, by any chance, your IN plug stereo..??
(if yes, there is no connection between jack's sleeve and ring, hence no continuity for battery negative pole..)

Does Diode's cathode (the edge with stripe) make contact with battery (+)..??
(continuity test..)

Is there power (9V) on Diode's cathode (DMM's black lead on any convenient ground)..??

GibsonGM

Take it farther back. Make sure the battery is fresh!
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

Quote from: GibsonGM on June 20, 2024, 09:42:15 AMTake it farther back. Make sure the battery is fresh!

..... and doesn't get hot while on test. if hot, then 0V, short somewhere. also, welcome. not you, Gibson, Jun1001.
I had a slight fever

Jun1001

Suddenly this gray wire cutted and I don't know where it was connected  :'(  :'(  :'(

GibsonGM

Do you mean that it was moved so much it broke from somewhere? 

Look on each potentiometer and jack to see if there are strands still there. 

It may help to see if that wire has continuity with ground. If not, what is the resistance to pin 1 and pin 7 of that opamp?
  • SUPPORTER

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: Jun1001 on June 20, 2024, 11:08:04 AMSuddenly this gray wire cutted and I don't know where it was connected  :'(  :'(  :'(
Ground to the input jack according to the schematic.

Old solid-core wires fatigue and break easily. More often than not these old wires are responsible for the trouble.
The previous owner could have been experiencing sporadic loss of signal and would "fix" it by wiggling the jack. That would surely fail completely after so long.

I'd bet that wire is why the pedal isn't turning on. By design the stereo input jack is used as a normally-open switch for the battery ground to the circuit so that it may not be turned on without a jack inserted into the input. With this wire broken the circuit is not getting it's ground reference.
  • SUPPORTER

Jun1001

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on June 20, 2024, 11:48:57 AM
Quote from: Jun1001 on June 20, 2024, 11:08:04 AMSuddenly this gray wire cutted and I don't know where it was connected  :'(  :'(  :'(
Ground to the input jack according to the schematic.

Old solid-core wires fatigue and break easily. More often than not these old wires are responsible for the trouble.
The previous owner could have been experiencing sporadic loss of signal and would "fix" it by wiggling the jack. That would surely fail completely after so long.

I'd bet that wire is why the pedal isn't turning on. By design the stereo input jack is used as a normally-open switch for the battery ground to the circuit so that it may not be turned on without a jack inserted into the input. With this wire broken the circuit is not getting it's ground reference.

Thank you. I found a broken mark on the input jack and it looks like the wire on the input jack is correct