Have you ever put the LM324 to use this way?

Started by Mark Hammer, June 20, 2024, 05:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

In his Stompbox Cookbook, Nicholas Boscorelli uses the LM324 quad op-amp to use in an unusual way, that he describes below.

Here's the circuit.

A very counterintuitive use of the chip, and approach to distortion.  Have any of you used it in this manner or built the Distort-o-Matic IV or simply tried one somebody else built?  I'm curious about what it does or doesn't add.

ElectricDruid

Never tried it, but it sounds like a good way to add plenty of hiss. At least the signal is boosted before it goes through, so there's some management of S/N.

StephenGiles

Yes I breadboarded this 2 leaking heart valves ago, and the hiss sounded great through an Electric Mistress!!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Mark Hammer

Quote from: StephenGiles on June 21, 2024, 07:11:44 AMYes I breadboarded this 2 leaking heart valves ago, and the hiss sounded great through an Electric Mistress!!
Fortunately, containing hiss is easier, less costly, and less painful, than containing heart-valve leakage! There are many points of potential intervention in this multi-op-amp circuit to trim cumulative hiss with feedback-loop caps.  Of course, almost any flanger will make hiss sound fascinating.  (Stay well, Stephen.  I'm hoping to get back out your way, maybe next year.)

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".