Take Pity on a newb asking a very newb question. Step down resistor content.

Started by Steve W., June 22, 2024, 12:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve W.

I recently bought a cheap and basic A/B bypass looper switcher. See it below in all of its glory.  :P

My setup is simple.

GTR-->Compressor-->PettyJohn Rails Fuzz--->Phaser-->Amp

I sing and play guitar. I don't like the compressor on at the same time as the fuzz and get tired of switching one off and immediately switching the other on, hence the purchase of the switcher pedal to do it for me.

So now all is wired up nicely

Loop A is GTR-->Compressor-> Phaser-->Amp
Loop B is GTR--->Fuzz-->Phaser-->Amp

My problem is that when I hit the looper switch, I get a loud pop when switching from Loop A to Loop B. Switching from Loop B to Loop A is silent.

For kicks, I took my multimeter and measured the output of the compressor. Zero volts when switched off and zero volts when switched on. For the Fuzz pedal it is 2.7mV when switched off and 1.4mV when switched on.

At first, I thought if I bought a better quality 3PDT switch for my looper that my problem would be solved. Then I read that probably wouldn't work and that I need to install some "Step Down" resistors.

Being a newb, I don't quite know how to implement that to solve my problem. Thought I would turn to the experts (you) for help.

Hopefully I have explained this decently. The looper works without power and I don't need to see the LED's so I leave it unplugged.

Thank you.

Mark Hammer

What you describe sounds like "pedal ventriloquism"  https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=112946.msg1043982#msg1043982

What is the compressor?  What is the phase-shifter?  That might narrow down the source of the pop.

Steve W.

I appreciate the kind reply.

Compressor is a Cali76-TX (Big Box)

Phaser is an Empress Phaser

R.G.

Pedal ventriloquism. Good name.

@OP: Mark's got a good point, including the ventriloquism. I would be suspicious of the Fuzz, though. Having non-zero volts on the input in both on and off states seems to say it's got some leakage.
But your thinking about pull-down resistors (step-down resistors) in the switch box might make for a handy place to put pull-down/step-down resistors even for pedals that don't have input and output pull-downs.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Steve W.

Thanks for the reply. Would it be correct to install the pull down resistor on the "Send" or the "Return" of Loop B of the a/b box? The cable coming out of the Output of the Fuzz goes into the "Return", correct? So the "Return" jack is where I should put the resistor.

That is my logic anyways, please correct me if I am wrong.

:)

Mark Hammer

If you stuck a 2M2 pulldown on the input and output jacks of the pedals, you wouldn't destroy their tone in any noticeable way, and probably eliminate pop.  Worst case scenario - it doesn't fix the problem so you unsolder those resistors.

Steve W.

I tried an experiment.

I had an unused 1meg mini pot (for a Jazzmaster) and stuck it into Loop B (The one with the DC leaking fuzz pedal).

Hooked the pot up to the SEND jack one end to the tip and one end to the sleeve.

It worked and I have no idea why. I would have wired it to the RETURN jack of the looper, but it did not have two solder connection sights. Just the tip (HOT) I believe. I only used the SEND jack because it had a solder connection site for the Tip and Sleeve.

Thanks for the help. Any idea how or why this actually worked?

;)