Momentary switch with TRS jack

Started by Sophia2001, June 26, 2024, 01:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophia2001

Dear fellow builders,

I'm working on a pedal for a good friend. She has the following wish: switch the effect on/off with a TRS output (momentary). When the momentary switch is pressed (Carlton switch 1 pole OFF-(ON) SLDR) the effect should come on. When the switch is off, the original sound (dry) should be audible.

Does anyone have an idea how I can accomplish this?

Sofia  :)

Mark Hammer

It's not immediately clear what the "TRS output" is for.  Are you trying to provide momentary switching of a stereo pedal?

GibsonGM

Or do you perhaps want to replace the bypass switch using a TRS jack, to a remote switch?
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Kevin Mitchell

Momentary = non latching connection
TRS = tip, ring, sleeve (AKA stereo jack/cable)
Your question is crossing two things that don't go together.

By the sound of it, your friend either wants a remote bypass/effects option or a simple no-click switch mod.
I can't make tails of which one you're asking for  :icon_cry:
  • SUPPORTER

Matthew Sanford

Paring the info down, TRS jack doesn't seem to matter. If you're building it and have room for a momentary, you might connect it in series between the input and a pull down resistor so when it isn't connected the circuit input has a ground connection to help keep noise out. If it's in the middle of a chain of effects and the want to remove it, a DPDT momentary (normally off) set as a bypass may be the way.

I could be wrong of course
"The only knowledge is knowing you know nothing" - that Sew Crates guy

Controlled Chaos Fx

Sophia2001

Thanks for all the responses. Sorry for my unclear explanation. I will try to explain it more.

The schematic consists of a JMK Panner that works as a blend.

The schematic is switched on with a True Bypass 3PDT switch. She would also like to have the option to have a "momentary" option in addition to the "always on" option. The housing has a TRS output jack. Could I adjust the schematic so that she can switch on the schematic with that TRS output jack momentary (by using an external switch).

So TRS switched on (tip/ring connected) is effect on.
So TRS switched off (tip/ring interrupted) is effect off.

Reason: she has a switch on her pedalboard with an BIG knob ;D  This is easier to operate than the small 3PDT switch.

Hopefully my question is clearer now? Thanks!

Sophia  :)

bluelagoon

You need to define what the Big Knob Switch type actually is. Is it a momentary normally open type or normally closed type. Is it in fact a momentary switch.?
Also there appears to be 4 jacks already in the circuit,
1/ Input
2/ Output
3/ Send
4/ Return
Do you intend to make it a 5 jack box with the addition of an extra Stereo Jack with Tip/Ring/Sleeve to facilitate your Bypass switch intentions?

Now you just need to figure how to get your momentary Bypass working

bluelagoon

Perhaps the following might suffice, Although I feel you would still get the blended effect coming through along with the original signal bypassed, which wouldn't be a true bypass, and not the desired outcome.
If you could incorporate a DPDT Relay into the mix that was activated from the Momentary N/O, then you could likely achieve the right outcome.

Sophia2001

Thanks both for your help!

Quote from: bluelagoon on June 27, 2024, 03:07:16 AMYou need to define what the Big Knob Switch type actually is. Is it a momentary normally open type or normally closed type. Is it in fact a momentary switch.?

Normally open, like this:

Quote from: bluelagoon on June 27, 2024, 03:07:16 AMDo you intend to make it a 5 jack box with the addition of an extra Stereo Jack with Tip/Ring/Sleeve to facilitate your Bypass switch intentions?

Correct.

Quote from: bluelagoon on June 27, 2024, 03:07:16 AMNow you just need to figure how to get your momentary Bypass working

That's my question!  ;D

RickL

Back in 2006 I posted something that may help you out. https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=48813.msg362251#msg362251

It won't allow you to use a momentary switch to control your box, but it does let you bring in the effect momentarily with a dpdt momentary switch, and also take it out momentarily with the same switch.