Good Distortion Pedal Project?

Started by Christoper, July 13, 2024, 02:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matopotato

Quote from: GibsonGM on July 14, 2024, 08:42:18 AMGotta agree, Matopotato. Dist+ is hard to beat!  Often it's one of the first we build, so it's familiar, and there are many clipping and tone shaping possibilities to play with.

I want to do one soon with rotary-switched clippers, and some LPF/HPF choices post-clipping.  Maybe LPF pre-clip, HPF after.  Still thinking - finishing up other long-overdue projects first  :icon_mrgreen:   
Cool!
I hope you can find something useful from my experience.
The added switch left of first opamp came from Mark Hammer and was very useful.
"Should have breadboarded it first"

GibsonGM

Quote from: matopotato on July 14, 2024, 09:06:11 AMThe added switch left of first opamp came from Mark Hammer and was very useful.

Looks like a Big Wool switch, lol
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Mark Hammer

Not for the faint of heart, but the Bandwrecker, over at Madbean is a VERY different sort of circuit.  Based on John Hollis's Crash Sync, it uses a 555 timer as the sound generator.  Schematic and modifications found here:
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=125467.0

Here's a quick demo of two I built recently.

duck_arse

Quote from: Focalized on July 13, 2024, 05:36:13 PM.... parts you might end up never using.

this is not for us to worry about, that's for our estates.

what about a Dr Boogie? and I agree with bag of parts, breadboard and then ready-made pcb, if that's what you want. but if you don't do it on perf, you're missing out.
"Bring on the nonsense".

Christoper

Many good suggestions, I'll definitely add the Dist+ to the list. I've got one that's been sitting around gathering dust in my closet.

Also the Bluesdriver comment reminding me a need to map out what the Galaxie mod actually does. Quite a few changes in that one.

matopotato

Quote from: Christoper on July 14, 2024, 11:31:37 AMMany good suggestions, I'll definitely add the Dist+ to the list. I've got one that's been sitting around gathering dust in my closet.

Also the Bluesdriver comment reminding me a need to map out what the Galaxie mod actually does. Quite a few changes in that one.
I did the Galaxie on breadboard. It reduced a lot of the "fizz", but at the cost of original character. I ended up using a few cap options on a switch out of the whole Galaxie.
The I swapped the Si diodes for Brian Wamplers Ge + others. And I DID hear enough difference to put it all on a switch. Messy but worked.
Only to see another Wampler video about BD-2 where he states that the diode change has no or very little impact. And now I don't hear any difference with my switch anymore.
Go figure...
(But the knowledge of having Ge on a switch is somehow satisfactory in itself.)

Christoper

I've played on a Galaxie modded BD-2, but I've never had enough experience with the original to compare. I'd be interested to know the methodology behind it though.

matopotato

Quote from: Christoper on July 14, 2024, 03:15:03 PMI've played on a Galaxie modded BD-2, but I've never had enough experience with the original to compare. I'd be interested to know the methodology behind it though.
If you breadboard, try set it on switches. I moved cables around but it made A/B-ing harder.

Christoper

Are we talking about the same thing? I'm referring to the ~20 component mod sold by Machine Head Pedals.

matopotato

Quote from: Christoper on July 14, 2024, 04:06:55 PMAre we talking about the same thing? I'm referring to the ~20 component mod sold by Machine Head Pedals.
I think so. Got mine from Das Musikdig kit as an addition.
26 changes. Not 26 switches, but a few 4pdt's...

Christoper

Yeah, Keith knows his stuff over there. I've been trying to get a hold of his Fairlane mod sheet, but he's not responded to my attempts to contact him.

matopotato

Quote from: Christoper on July 14, 2024, 08:08:24 PMYeah, Keith knows his stuff over there. I've been trying to get a hold of his Fairlane mod sheet, but he's not responded to my attempts to contact him.
No sure I follow...
Keith is Aion FX if I am not mistaken?
Klaus Brunner runs das Musikding.
I did not get any match for Fairlane on either site. What is it a mod for?

Edit: Looks like a DS-1 mod to make it a bit towards Dist+.
But not many hits searching. Any links?

merlinb

Ibanez SD-9. Much better sound than the TS9 everybody else copies.

The Dist+ is appealing to beginners for its simplicity, but it sounds like a very montonous fuzz pedal to my ear.

Mark Hammer

It IS a monotonous pedal, but it makes a good platform for experimenting with mods to make it less monotonous.  One of the reasons why I often recommend it to beginners.

Christoper

Quote from: matopotato on July 15, 2024, 01:30:44 AM
Quote from: Christoper on July 14, 2024, 08:08:24 PMYeah, Keith knows his stuff over there. I've been trying to get a hold of his Fairlane mod sheet, but he's not responded to my attempts to contact him.
No sure I follow...

https://www.machineheadpedals.com/pedal%20mods.html

matopotato

Quote from: Christoper on July 15, 2024, 09:34:29 AM
No sure I follow...

Got it, another Keith, and not sold by Das Musikding. All clear now.

Fancy Lime

Quote from: Christoper on July 15, 2024, 09:34:29 AM
No sure I follow...

No disrespect in case he does do anything legitimately good sounding to the pedals but the website sure makes it sound like he doesn't do anything and relies on people believing their pedal sounds better after they sent it on a postal roundtrip and spend a lot of money. Might be a psychological experiment rather than a modder for all appearances, including the Y2K website design. Entertaining kind of "this is no marketing mumbojumbo" markketing mumbojumbo but might not necessarily be worth trying to copy. But that's just, like, my opinion, man.
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

antonis

Quote from: Fancy Lime on July 15, 2024, 01:50:32 PMBut that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Not solely yours, Andy.. :icon_wink:

P.S.
Why you don't propose the "Eye of the Goat".. :icon_mrgreen:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Fancy Lime

Quote from: antonis on July 15, 2024, 04:39:18 PM
Quote from: Fancy Lime on July 15, 2024, 01:50:32 PM...

P.S.
Why you don't propose the "Eye of the Goat".. :icon_mrgreen:
Because the request was for a good distortion pedal project :icon_mrgreen:
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

matopotato

Quote from: Fancy Lime on July 15, 2024, 01:50:32 PMincluding the Y2K website design.
Like R.G's page? Or "the waiting list" page?
😉