Good Distortion Pedal Project?

Started by Christoper, July 13, 2024, 02:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christoper

Quote from: Fancy Lime on July 15, 2024, 01:50:32 PM
Quote from: Christoper on July 15, 2024, 09:34:29 AM
Quote from: matopotato on July 15, 2024, 01:30:44 AM
Quote from: Christoper on July 14, 2024, 08:08:24 PMYeah, Keith knows his stuff over there. I've been trying to get a hold of his Fairlane mod sheet, but he's not responded to my attempts to contact him.
No sure I follow...
Keith is Aion FX if I am not mistaken?
Klaus Brunner runs das Musikding.
I did not get any match for Fairlane on either site. What is it a mod for?

Edit: Looks like a DS-1 mod to make it a bit towards Dist+.
But not many hits searching. Any links?

https://www.machineheadpedals.com/pedal%20mods.html
No disrespect in case he does do anything legitimately good sounding to the pedals but the website sure makes it sound like he doesn't do anything and relies on people believing their pedal sounds better after they sent it on a postal roundtrip and spend a lot of money. Might be a psychological experiment rather than a modder for all appearances, including the Y2K website design. Entertaining kind of "this is no marketing mumbojumbo" markketing mumbojumbo but might not necessarily be worth trying to copy. But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

I mean his BD-2 mod at the very least involves 26 cap/resistor value changes that includes swapping caps with resistor and visa versa as well as shorting and opening certain connections. If that qualifies as not doing anything, well I am afraid for my job security. I think the antiquated web design is purely because he hasn't made any changes to it in forever. Combined with him not answering my correspondence means I don't think he's active any more.

Phend

Mission almost accomplished,
Are you Distorted yet ?
  • SUPPORTER+
This is the age of Video Game Induced illiteracy

duck_arse

Quote from: Christoper on July 16, 2024, 12:12:39 PMI mean his BD-2 mod at the very least involves 26 cap/resistor value changes that includes swapping caps with resistor and visa versa as well as shorting and opening certain connections.

does this mean pull the resistor/cap and replace as cap/resistor, just the order in a series string?
"Bring on the nonsense".

matopotato

Quote from: duck_arse on July 17, 2024, 10:14:58 AM
Quote from: Christoper on July 16, 2024, 12:12:39 PMI mean his BD-2 mod at the very least involves 26 cap/resistor value changes that includes swapping caps with resistor and visa versa as well as shorting and opening certain connections.

does this mean pull the resistor/cap and replace as cap/resistor, just the order in a series string?
It is in the BOM page here: Aion FX Sapphire doc.
It had most options: Omit, jumper, R=>C, C=>R and plain value changes.
"Should have breadboarded it first"

Christoper

So does this mean Keith moved to Aion and dropped MHP?

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

matopotato

Quote from: Christoper on July 18, 2024, 08:53:50 AMSo does this mean Keith moved to Aion and dropped MHP?
Sorry my bad.
Yes, Kevin is Aion.
Keith is MHP.
And Stones... or was that Keif?
"Should have breadboarded it first"

Fancy Lime

Quote from: Christoper on July 16, 2024, 12:12:39 PM
Quote from: Fancy Lime on July 15, 2024, 01:50:32 PM
Quote from: Christoper on July 15, 2024, 09:34:29 AM
Quote from: matopotato on July 15, 2024, 01:30:44 AM
Quote from: Christoper on July 14, 2024, 08:08:24 PMYeah, Keith knows his stuff over there. I've been trying to get a hold of his Fairlane mod sheet, but he's not responded to my attempts to contact him.
No sure I follow...
Keith is Aion FX if I am not mistaken?
Klaus Brunner runs das Musikding.
I did not get any match for Fairlane on either site. What is it a mod for?

Edit: Looks like a DS-1 mod to make it a bit towards Dist+.
But not many hits searching. Any links?

https://www.machineheadpedals.com/pedal%20mods.html
No disrespect in case he does do anything legitimately good sounding to the pedals but the website sure makes it sound like he doesn't do anything and relies on people believing their pedal sounds better after they sent it on a postal roundtrip and spend a lot of money. Might be a psychological experiment rather than a modder for all appearances, including the Y2K website design. Entertaining kind of "this is no marketing mumbojumbo" markketing mumbojumbo but might not necessarily be worth trying to copy. But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

I mean his BD-2 mod at the very least involves 26 cap/resistor value changes that includes swapping caps with resistor and visa versa as well as shorting and opening certain connections. If that qualifies as not doing anything, well I am afraid for my job security. I think the antiquated web design is purely because he hasn't made any changes to it in forever. Combined with him not answering my correspondence means I don't think he's active any more.
My comment did not refer to the actual mod, which I had no idea about before matopotato posted the Sapphire doc, but to the text on the website, which specifies in great detail what all the mods *don't* do but not what they *do* do. It seems to try to give the impression that the sound is exactly the same but at the same time better in every way. And absent any technical informationnto the contrary, that siund like BS to me. Having now had the chance to look at the actual modded values, I agree, it's a rather extensive mod that may very well be a substantial improvement. I just wish people would be more upfront about what they do, is all.
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!