Simple preamp not working with NE5532

Started by aiyiadam, July 18, 2024, 12:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aiyiadam

With this simple preamp, I am trying to simulate a simple fender. It actually works fine with TL072's and fake NE5532's (don't know what those are). But I am having problems with genuine NE5532. The op amp sounds very saturated and cuts off.

Any idea why this might be happening?

GGBB

Welcome to the forum. I don't see any DC bias being applied to U10A. Is the schematic complete?
  • SUPPORTER

aiyiadam

Quote from: GGBB on July 18, 2024, 12:44:39 PMWelcome to the forum. I don't see any DC bias being applied to U10A. Is the schematic complete?

Thank you!

The schematic is complete. And the problem is that simple.. I added a 1M resistor between the pin 3 and the ground, which solved the problem.

I wonder why the simulation and the circuit worked without the bias. Anyways, I shouldn't rely on simulations this much.

GibsonGM

Shouldn't you flip V7 if you're simulating a dual-polarity supply?
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

aiyiadam

Quote from: GibsonGM on July 18, 2024, 02:36:25 PMShouldn't you flip V7 if you're simulating a dual-polarity supply?

V7 is -12V. "-" is a bit hard to see..

ElectricDruid

Quote from: GibsonGM on July 18, 2024, 02:36:25 PMShouldn't you flip V7 if you're simulating a dual-polarity supply?
I like to stack the two voltage sources/batteries on top of each other and have the connections top and bottom and the middle connected to ground. It makes it instantly obvious that it's a dual supply.
Go really crazy and re-label V6 and V7 to something useful like "+V" and "-V" too. Go wild!

aiyiadam

Quote from: ElectricDruid on July 18, 2024, 02:59:38 PM
I like to stack the two voltage sources/batteries on top of each other and have the connections top and bottom and the middle connected to ground. It makes it instantly obvious that it's a dual supply.
Go really crazy and re-label V6 and V7 to something useful like "+V" and "-V" too. Go wild!

Thank you very much for your valuable opinion. I am also very glad to hear how you like to do it.  ;)

GibsonGM

I'm 52; I can't see crap anymore.  Esp. when there are pixels involved.  :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Rob Strand

Quote from: aiyiadam on July 18, 2024, 01:40:47 PMI wonder why the simulation and the circuit worked without the bias. Anyways, I shouldn't rely on simulations this much.
It's because the opamp models in simulators are macromodels.  They mostly constructed from linear devices not transistors.   A real transistor circuit needs biasing,  has DC input currents, and requires minimum supply voltages to operate.   The linear circuit don't need any of that but at the same time the simulation won't show up any DC bias issues involving the transistor inputs.  The only reason they have a supply is to clip the outputs so the simulation looks like it's running output of swing.

Full transistor based opamp models are difficult to get working correctly at all levels.  Often the simpler macro models end-up being more accurate, less problematic and faster.   It's just cases like this where it can catch you out.

Just to be clear.   A good deal of spice/LTspice macromodels  at least have transistors/JFETs on the inputs.    No idea what is under the hood on those on-line simulators.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

PRR

Quote from: aiyiadam on July 18, 2024, 01:40:47 PMI wonder why the simulation and the circuit worked without the bias.

The sim depends on fantasy. Real FET-input device "may work" by very small leakages and/or they don't work until a large transient brings the input to the active range.

When desk-checking, look that ALL grids-bases-gates have a happy resting point. (Tube grids are real likely to work unconnected for short periods.)
  • SUPPORTER