Copying the Tone Bender MK2 (BPC) circuit

Started by bridgetkeble, August 16, 2024, 12:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bridgetkeble

Recently I acquired a Tone Bender MK2 from British Pedal Company and I copied the circuit to a strip board, I used transistors with the same specs. It sounds practically the same, however, there's simply too much background noise when I switch the pedal On.
Is it maybe because the circuit is not in an enclosure yet and is more prone to interference? This is what a buddy suggested, however, I don't remember this being an issue with other fuzzes I have built, including a MK3 (from a musikding kit) which is actually dead quiet ...

Any ideas?

Focalized

Fuzzes seem very easily prone to noise. Germaniums are especially I think. Did you use the shielded wire and bypass wiring as the real pedal? I have two MKII pedals one with shielded wires one not. Both are pretty quiet. Ok sounding but no hiss or anything.

amptramp

There are a large number of different schematics for Tone Bender devices and some of them have higher input impedance than others and are therefore going to pick up more ambient noise through capacitive coupling.

As well as stripboard, it would be a good idea to have a shielded enclosure so you can differentiate between pickup of ambient signals and thermal noise.  It doesn't have to be the usual cast aluminum - it can be a steel box and for small enough circuits, a standard electrician's box used for electrical wiring would be good enough if it has a lid for enclosure.  Shielding of the input leads is a good idea but the shield has to be terminated at the input return and/or the box.

merlinb