Aion refractor issue

Started by jdix123@gmail.com, August 28, 2024, 06:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdix123@gmail.com

Hi all. Building this project as pcb only (I supplied components).

Buffered bypass signal ok (I jumped the  place on the PCB, did not install a switch). There is signal when the pedal is engaged but there is dramatic volume loss. I can hear the volume knob affecting the volume level, and can hear that the gain affects the volume as well but no grit is introduced. I can't tell if the treble pot does anything when I sweep it.

Both Op amp chips are TL072, charge pump is a 7660S.

IC1:
3.4 (reducing)

IC2:
6.39 (this should be ground, no?)
6.9 (this should be like 16 or something)

IC3:

I tried to audio probe it, and it seems to be behaving as it should at IC1:1-5. I do not hear signal clipping at the diodes (I socketed D1&2 and have tried multiple diodes in that spot so I know it isn't just a bad one or two).

Nothing gets hot, and I haven't released any mystical blue smoke. Project isn't boxed yet so I know I'm not grounding out on the case. I'm stumped.

duck_arse

welcome to the forum. please be so kind as to include, or link to, the circuit diagram or at the very least the build docs, for the exact version of the circuit, whatever it may be, you are building. people loose interest if they have to go looking and guessing.

and then, please, post photos of what you have built. then, we might get somewhere.
granny at the G next satdy eh.

idy

IC 3 is the charge pump. It is not pumping.You should be seeing negative voltage on pin 5.
Yes, Both opamps need low voltage on pin 4 and high on pin 8.
IC 1 gets 0 and +9. IC 2 gets almost around -9 and +18.

Are you using battery or power supply? What does it read out of circuit? (power supplies often read high when unloaded, don't worry too much yet.)

jdix123@gmail.com

Thanks for the responses.

This is the build documentation (PCB only).

Voltage readings are similar whether using a battery or a power supply.

Here are some pics.

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

ElectricDruid

Quote from: antonis on September 03, 2024, 06:18:53 AMMany prospective shorts... :icon_redface:

+1 agree. The soldering is lumpy. Probably you need a bit more heat so it flows more easily. Hold the iron on the joint for just a second longer.

Check first around that IC3 charge pump to see if you can find any problems, since until that's working and you've got the voltages you expect from the power supply, you can't test the rest of it.

jdix123@gmail.com

I'll see about reflowing - in the pics, a lot of flux/rosin is reflecting like solder - it's not actually as bad as it looks. I'd love to clean it up but I'm not sure how - wick doesn't seem to do it.

jdix123@gmail.com

ElectricDruid

Quote from: jdix123@gmail.com on September 04, 2024, 10:30:19 AMNo luck with reflowing  :-\
Shame! That would have been a nice easy fix.

Ok, so now get your multimeter and check for shorts around the charge pump IC. Most likely is something is connecting to something that it shouldn't be!

jdix123@gmail.com

Quote from: ElectricDruid on September 04, 2024, 01:37:37 PM
Quote from: jdix123@gmail.com on September 04, 2024, 10:30:19 AMNo luck with reflowing  :-\
Shame! That would have been a nice easy fix.

Ok, so now get your multimeter and check for shorts around the charge pump IC. Most likely is something is connecting to something that it shouldn't be!

I can't find anything. I've verified the circuit path around the charge pump is correct, but I can't find a short. I'm not even really sure how to go about it, other than just putting a lead on a point and randomly probing around.

Slowpoke101

At the moment I would suggest replacing IC3 with a new device, preferably from a different supplier. You may simply have been supplied a faulty IC. However before replacing IC3, remove IC1 and 2 then check if the voltages on IC3 have changed when you apply power. You don't need to do this, it's just for curiosity's sake.

One other thing: I couldn't really see from the photos but it looks as if the TONE control metal back cover may be able to touch the circuit board. If you haven't done so already, I suggest that you insulate the back of that control with a piece of card or thin sheet plastic. The last thing you want is a short circuit.
  • SUPPORTER

jdix123@gmail.com

I was leaning that way as well. I thought it unlikely that two separate chips where both bad in the same way, but I've been over and over and over the circuit. I'll order a new charge pump (like five of them) from a diff place and see if that changes anything.