What should an active tilt eq consist of to work

Started by Transistor-Transistor, September 11, 2024, 12:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Transistor-Transistor

I wanna make a tilt eq. I built it up on the breadboard and it only boosted in one direction and then cut all the volume in the other direction. What might cause this?

I built this one from the tone control library/calculator you guys showed me.
I made this one with a single power supply and put the 4.5 reference voltage into the noninverting input.

I stared at it on the board for like a half hour, went to work, came back and stared some more and I swear all the values are right and that they're in the right spot.

Gentleman I am perplexed
Buck up little camper!
-Charles De Mar

Rob Strand

IF Rin isn't low impedance then it could behave weird.   Also I suspect if the pot value is too low compared to the resistors it might work in an odd manner.  Off hand it would be a weak control.   

Then there's human error.   If you get the connections muddled up it won't work.   The way you have drawn it should work but it's not symmetrical (flip C2 & R2 positions).   That could promote wiring errors.   (You need a dual supply, or, for single supply bias the opamp +input to half supply.)
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Rob Strand on September 11, 2024, 01:57:47 AMThen there's human error.   If you get the connections muddled up it won't work.

+1 this. It caught me out *after* I'd already done a PCB design!

Staring at it never works because you finish up seeing what you *think* is there. Go for long walk instead, and then have a look when you come back.

Rob Strand

I can at least confirm the part values look correct, including the pot value.

There is only one pot value which results in a symmetric tilt.
Too high a value gives more low side +/- dB than high side, and visa-versa.
The pot also affects the amount of boost/cut.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

PRR

Explain the build to your brother. Or your dog. Even if they don't want to help, the charade of explaining will sometimes jar a loose or jammed thought.
  • SUPPORTER

ElectricDruid

Quote from: PRR on September 11, 2024, 06:37:45 PMExplain the build to your brother. Or your dog. Even if they don't want to help, the charade of explaining will sometimes jar a loose or jammed thought.
+1, this is another excellent technique. My wife stares at me blankly while I explain the problem, and then I go ".....aaaahHHHH!" and run off in the middle. She's used to it by now.

Transistor-Transistor

After takin a nap and annoying the living daylights out of my girlfriend and family I finally found it. I was using a resistor with very thin legs that were bent in such a way that it couldn't make electrical contact on the breadboard. I just rebent it and the active eq works perfectly
Buck up little camper!
-Charles De Mar

amptramp

Quote from: Transistor-Transistor on September 12, 2024, 12:06:43 AMAfter takin a nap and annoying the living daylights out of my girlfriend and family I finally found it. I was using a resistor with very thin legs that were bent in such a way that it couldn't make electrical contact on the breadboard. I just rebent it and the active eq works perfectly

If a breadboard can accommodate electrolytic capacitor leads, it will definitely not hold small component leads and if it holds small component leads, you cannot jam an electrolytic cap in it.  I had the opportunity to get a breadboard unit with ± 15 VDC power built into the unit and I passed on it.  I have had too much trouble with breadboards in the past.  Prototyping boards are better and you can solder a component in faster than you can jam a lead in and prove it is working.

Transistor-Transistor

Actually this is only the second time I've had trouble with a breadboard  :icon_lol:
Buck up little camper!
-Charles De Mar