Can I use thinner enclosures? Like the old coloursound case

Started by Bluesgeetar, November 19, 2003, 03:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluesgeetar

I found this electronic supply place in Tacoma that has these enclosures shaped like the old MK2 Pros.  They are rectangular with the a small flat area then it slopes downward.  Well exactly like the old tonbenders.  The only thing is they are thin aluminum.  Not as thin as the old coloursound 3 knobbers but alot thinner than the Hammond boxes.  Is it ok to use these?  I mean will they allow more interference in or something do the thick Hammonds offer better shielding and isolation.  They had many different sizes.  They them in a little bitty feller about 2.5"X3"X2"  in the shape of an old tonebender(it looked cute as hell, like a miniature MK2 pro) and they had them all the way up into these huge monsters about 17"X12"X5" in the same shape of a sloping front after flat surface.  You could put all your projects in one house.  The cases seemed very strong and not flimsy.  

Well can I!??  
I fell in love with the little tonebender!  Could throw a rangemaster in that one!  I think they were made by a company called LMB or something like that.  Oh and they were alot cheaper than Hammonds.

Noplasticrobots

I just ran across these in the Mouser catalog/phonebook and I'm wondering the same thing. They look awesome and are definitely more unique than the Hammond enclosures. They even have a more boutique/vintage edge to them (in my eyes at least). If you're like me and can't afford to spend lots of money on good DPDTs (that pesky rent!) and you use cheap Rat Shack rocker switches for your effects, the slope looks like it might provide a more comfortable angle for your foot.

http://www.lmbheeger.com/products.asp?catid=28

If the link doesn't work, go to the home page and select Modular Desktop Consoles from the dropdown.
I love the smell of solder in the morning.

twabelljr

They will do just fine as far as shielding is concerned. If you think they can handle the switch being "stomped" on without any problem, I say go for it. I like "that look" alot also! 
Shine On !!!

LyleCaldwell

Shielding and strength are fine.  I don't like using them because it's really hard to get a flat plane to drill into with my drill press.
What does this button do?

psionicaudio.com

mojotron

Quote from: Bluesgeetar on November 19, 2003, 03:05:58 PM
I found this electronic supply place in Tacoma that has these enclosures shaped like the old MK2 Pros....
I live pretty close to Tacoma, where at in Tacoma and what's the name of the place?

Stompin Tom

Ge_Whiz

I got about eight of this type of case dirt cheap at the Dayton Hamvention some years ago - now i only have one left. I don't smash guitars nor jump on stompboxes from the top of a Marshall double stack, so I've had no problems with them. Go for it.

Noplasticrobots

Lyle, if you're having trouble drilling it with a drill press, why don't you just measure the angle of the slope, cut out a wedge of wood using that angle, and place it under the enclosure? That will offset it so  the front slope will lay flat (I was thinking about it last night).
I love the smell of solder in the morning.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: LyleCaldwell on February 28, 2006, 12:30:34 PM
I don't like using them because it's really hard to get a flat plane to drill into with my drill press.
It's pretty easy to make a jig (wood base & 3 strips, one to tilt to horizontal, other 2 to position). One of the many CAD whizzes here could draw it in 3 seconds. :icon_smile: