Mosfet power stage. Maybe OT.

Started by Prive, November 22, 2003, 05:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prive

Hi, recently i open the case of my vocal amp and my surprise was when i discover that the power stage is jusy a single chip, TDA7296.
I plug it to my ADA MP1 and to a Marshall 1960 classic cabinet and WWWWWOOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you need a 60W amp and don't want to build a tube amp, price or difficult, but you need a great tone.

I'm thinkin in build a stereo power stage with two TDA7296.

I'll be waiting for some responses, some people who knows this chip or something.

Sorry, my english sucks but if i live in other country ;) hehehehe.
Fuzz boxes don't need on/off switch!!!!!!!!

smoguzbenjamin

You could make a stereo power stage with two IC's. But If you feed to same signal to two power amps, you're gonna have two speakers doing the same thing. I call it double mono :mrgreen: You could try a single phase shift on one channel...

just my two cents
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Johan

the TDA7296 can delliver up to around 100watt in some cases. you might want to look at LM3886 for applications up to 65watts or the LM1876 for up to around 25watt
these are all supersimple to use. just a few resistors and 1 or 2 caps, and you'll have a great sounding poweramp with buillt in heat and overcurrent protection and no crossover distortion...there really inst any good reasons to not use these when building poweramps with less than 100 watts.
these and a few more ones like  the TDA2030/40/50 are used by almost every amplifiercompany in the world. everyone from Marshall to Fender to Peavey to Crate to Kustom to... uses them in their Solidstate amps...

just look for the application notes to see how simple it can be ( search for "datasheets" and the partnumber at google )

Johan
DON'T PANIC

Prive

Yes i see a TDA2030 in the Peavey rage 158 power section, it sound great but the mosfets in the 7296 make difference in tone and volume.

I'm thinking in a stereo power stage because  the MP1 have a stereo chorus inside and is really fat when you split each phase in a different speaker.

Saludos, Marcelo.
Fuzz boxes don't need on/off switch!!!!!!!!

Johan

the TDA2030 is only about 15watt compared to the ca. 100watt you had with the 7296 and my guess is that if you plug your Peavey into your 4x12 cab, the tone will improve a lot over a small single speaker...anyway, have fun with them. they are as easy to work with as any 4558 or tl072, only a lot more power...

Johan
DON'T PANIC