Measuring question

Started by Bill_F, November 23, 2003, 12:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill_F

When measuring the voltage at the transistor do you always measure with the positive of the DMM on tranny and the negative of the DMM on ground? Would that be the same on both center negative and center positive circuits?

What got me thinking is that I've built a Rangemaster clone from GGG and used the negative center schem. Would I be looking for the same voltages that RG spoke about in biasing the center positive Rangemaster in his article?

Hope this makes sense,
Bill

petemoore

To check the bias of a transistor I just hook one lead to the ckt ground, and use the other lead to check voltages of the emitter base and collector.
 I disregard the +/- on the DMM and just write down the numbers.
 for a neg ground ckt I then put + signs by each reading [E,B,C], for a pos ground ckt I add - sign to each reading.
      >This is the way you're 'supposed' to do it<
 Most ppl probably go the established route [which is just as good or better ISPO] of making sure the black lead goes to ground for measurements on a pos ground ckt and the red wire to ground for neg ground ckt...then just take the readings [the numbers and any + or - signs and write them down verbatim as on the DMM readout.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.