Nevermind the Press 'n Peel...

Started by Gringo, December 04, 2003, 05:34:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

While we're on the topic of alternatives to press and peel, and since I don't seem to be able to post new topics from home for some reason, here is a query.

Some time back there was a thread about using glossy photo-paper as a substitute for PnP.  Since the time of that posting, I imagine there have been new makes/types of photo paper for laser printers coming out, so I thought I'd ask the question again.

Who here uses laser photo paper for tranferring PCB patterns, and do you have preferences for type/brand?

Bill_F

Hey Mark,

I have used Kodak Utra glossy and had good results with it. I used this because I was sick of the varying results with PNP. Then I decided to try PNP one more time, since I had few sheets laying around.  I followed the advice that was given in the recent PNP thread and it worked great! So I think I like it better now. Man, being finicky is a drag!

Hope that helps, but probably not.   :mrgreen:

Bill

Mark Hammer

Thanks Bill,

That actually *does* help.  My gut sense is that there are some layouts where I'd probably want the dependability of PnP, and others where the almost-but-not-quite aspects of photo paper are more than acceptable enough.  For instance, many of the tight-squeeze layouts from RG and Francisco probably want PnP.

Any other brands/types of photo paper people can recommend, and any protocols to follow with it?

BillyJ

Well I cannot remember the exact name offhand but about 6 months ago (I'm guessing) there was a Japanese fellow ( I think) who posted a Hewlett Packard website where youi could get a small trial size pack of some photo paper they sell.
I got my samples and they worked really well.
If I get the time today I iwll try and search that post and drag it up if the offer is still good.
Or at least try and find the paper type it was. I waqs happy enough with it to shine on getting any PNP until it ran out.
Well worth it IMO.

difedetry

gringo
Yo realizo mis placas utlizando la misma técnica de transferencia..
la idea la recuerdo de la esuela y de... UTILISIMA!!!!!

One tip to add to this Bricollage technique is that I dry the wet
photocopy out the fastest that I can putting it above the kitchen
and sometimes making it flare (oh yeah!!)... this way the toner
from photocopy attach really strong to the PCB.
You'll probably need to retouch with a sharp permanent marker...
Results aren't so pro but this is a great hobbyist technique
anyway... and we've to survive in our country!!

just my 2 cents :)

» Diego
....::. if you are not sure just try .::....
         www.difedetry-fx.com.ar
             www.puniete.com

Mark Hammer

As luck would have it, one of the several dozen advertising flyers we got in our mailbox this week advertised a sampler of H-P photo that would be free once the rebate cheque comes back in the mail.  I think I'll try it out.

Gringo

I love the burning part of your technique!!! :twisted:  :twisted:

Gonna have to try it, it's not just a tribute to motorhead that my irc nick is "Burner"  8)

Talk about "mojo"!! If your pcbs are not imbued with something after such ritual it's time to go "bonzo style"  :D
Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net