TS808 IC Question

Started by KevinSTP, December 25, 2003, 02:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinSTP

I have a Boss BF2 flanger that has 2, 45580dd JRC 2417 chips is this the same as in the 808? can I use them for this.
"Looky What I Done Did"

Joep

yeah, but Small Bear sells them too. Both the JRC4588 and the RC4558. These two IC's are supposed to be the Holy Tubescreamer Grail.....

Buy a IC socket and a TL072 and a NE5532 too and deside for yourself which one you like most. Search the forum too, there have been a number of posts about which IC should sound the best in a Tube Screamer.

Leave the flanger as it is, in my opinion it's a waste to canibalize it over a single IC.

Happy Holiday to you all!

Joep

PS Small Bear is closed now and will re-open at the 12th of january.

KevinSTP

Thanks :I have 2 of these flangers and an MXR ac flanger which is much better so I don't mind losing one,but if I got that way I will put a socket in the flanger that way I can try the chip and replace it.I wonder if the BF2 is tradeable?
"Looky What I Done Did"

javacody

Sell the flanger on ebay. Don't butcher it for a $0.45 part!

KevinSTP

Makes sense to me.I have never used ebay to sell guess now is a good time to try it.I see different TS 808 schematics around anyone have a favorite?
"Looky What I Done Did"

javacody

What you make on that flanger will probably pay for all of the parts you need for a tubescreamer.   :D

I'm not sure which schem? I think that they are all about the same?

nightingale

kevin~
i built the GGG version to specs... it is great, sounds very close to my friends "analog man" modded ts9 to 808 specs... just for kicks i want to try jacks mods founds here: www.muzique.com
the mods are in the lab notebook section on the navigation to the left...

i'll try to post some picks of my ts808 later tonight...
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

KevinSTP

Thanks for your input Ryan,what was yout source for the IC.I think I will start with a simple booster as I gather the parts for a TS.
"Looky What I Done Did"

brett

Hi.  A few personal opinions wrt TSs.  
1. Definately use an IC socket and try different chips.  For $2 or $3 you can have some fun choosing and get a better pedal.  Expect to become a heretic and really enjoy some non-4558 chips.
2. Of all the "mods", you'll get good value from the simple "body" mod which sees the 0.047uF cap that grounds AC in the feedback loop increased somewhat.  Try values around 0.1uF for a solid increase in low-mids.
3. The other mod that gives major bang for your buck is to go for dissimilar/unusual clipping diodes.  I use a Ge and a Si (1N60 and 1N4148), which gives a sweet, asymetric effect.  Foir higher output maybe try 2x1N4148 antiparallel with a single 1N4148 (1n4148=1N914 and is similar to most Si diodes, including "power" diodes).
4. In my experience, don't expect too much from changes such as swapping the tantalum caps for foil, etc.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

javacody

Kevin, I would start out by purchasing a couple JRC and TI 4558 chips from Small Bear. You can search the forums for other suggestions. Each chip has a slightly different sound, and now it turns out, you can stack the little buggers for even more experimentation.

KevinSTP

Well it seems that a Peavey amp that I was given due to a dead transformer has a bunch of 4558 chips on the board.I will get a couple from Small bear when I place an order soon and try a few different ones in the pedal.
"Looky What I Done Did"