Green ringer is awesome.

Started by Mike Nichting, January 02, 2004, 02:24:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Nichting

Hey all,
my green ringers are awesome~!!! I like them better than any other octave effect I've tried.  I tried the "NULL" mod and it didn;'t work tho. I am going to build the 21st century green ringer. Can I do that On the same board from GGG???

Any other mod suggestions??

Thanks all,
Mike N.
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

bobbletrox

I still don't get what it is exactly...is it a ring modulator, octave up, or octave down?  :shock:

aron

I like mine as well. Of course I have an original  :wink:

bobbletrox

Quote from: anonymousexperimentalisthttp://www.runoffgroove.com/greenringer.mp3

ARG!  What's that riff?  I first heard that riff in a guitar shop about 8 years ago, and I still haven't found out what song it's from!

Back to the topic:  the Green Ringer sounds good.  I'll have to give it a go.

Samuel

Quote from: bobbletrox
Quote from: anonymousexperimentalisthttp://www.runoffgroove.com/greenringer.mp3

ARG!  What's that riff?  I first heard that riff in a guitar shop about 8 years ago, and I still haven't found out what song it's from!

Back to the topic:  the Green Ringer sounds good.  I'll have to give it a go.

"Electric Funeral" from Paranoid by Black Sabbath

aron

Quote from: bobbletroxI still don't get what it is exactly...is it a ring modulator, octave up, or octave down?  :shock:

It can do most of the above.

With the neck pickup, tone rolled back, it's octave up. With two notes played, it can get psuedo ring mod, I've never gotten octave down, but Dan Armstrong said it can.

bobbletrox

Quote from: Samuel"Electric Funeral" from Paranoid by Black Sabbath

Mystery solved!  Thanks  :wink:

jsleep

Aron,

Example of getting octave down:  If you pick the open low E string, let it ring and then start playing pentatonic E scale stuff (or whatever) at the 12th fret, you can hear what sounds like octave down of the notes you are playing...as long as the low E note is ringing while you play.  As you said, the overall sound of this (two notes ringing at once) is ring-modulator-sounding, and I can definitely hear some octave down in there.  Good possibility that it is octave up overtones from the low E, but it sure sounds like octave down to the higher stuff.

For some reason, the Green Ringer does seem to sound much better (to me) than the other octave boxes that I've built, but I do like the Scrambler, Tone Machine and Octavia too.

JD
For great Stompbox projects visit http://www.generalguitargadgets.com

moosapotamus

A boost or fuzz in front of the GR will really make it come alive. Consider adding something simple (i.e. bazz fuss, sam ash, mini-boo, your fav') on the same circuit board, maybe with a pot in between to control the amount of boost going to the GR.

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

bwanasonic

I need to revisit my green ringer. I am still in the honeymoon phase with the Tycobrahe octavia I just finished. I built my GR on JDs PCB and substituted a few resistor values, so I have always had the feeling it wasn't all it could be. All the trannie voltages are in line  with the ones at GGG, but it didn't quite get that BOG "Who Knows" tone I was looking for (which the tyco does). I plan on diddling with input/output caps and putting in the spec values for the resistor values I subbed. That and maybe a Ge for Q2. Maybe that will reveal the *special* GR character.

Kerry M

petemoore

Try a Ge in the Green Ringer someone once typed, and I tried it...
 IIRC it was: "Try a Germaniun transistor in Q2".
 I did that and noted a change I liked.
 I'm going to build a Green Ringer again. [1rst one was great [I reviewed it], it was a long time ago...it's been 'ascavenged'...
  Are there Hfe guidelines for the transistors used in this ckt?
  Well yaknow Im gonna use 'some' sockets ... Here I ask:
 Are there any resistors that are fun to play with or put a pot instead there?
 Sidenote: *guitar volume
... I have this FT 70 gets a cool [predictable, medium intensity]octave down on single notes say anything below D string 7th fret]  *10.  otherwise it's brassy chimes [great multi-string definition with sparkle] *5. Or Thick Heavy Lead Tones *7-10
 *Guitar Volume
 Very loud cream slicing device at *^ settings...Q1=NTE123 [little tophat] Q2=MPSA18, Quite nice for 'Multidog" howling sessions / can scare the neighbors !
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

aron

Quote from: jsleepAron,

Example of getting octave down:  If you pick the open low E string, let it ring and then start playing pentatonic E scale stuff (or whatever) at the 12th fret,......
For some reason, the Green Ringer does seem to sound much better (to me) than the other octave boxes that I've built, but I do like the Scrambler, Tone Machine and Octavia too.

JD

hmmm.... I've played live and recorded with mine for years. I've never even gotten a hint of octave down!   :(

Well, I will fool around with it again, but mine might be an octave up only pedal.

As for the others.... I LOVE THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

The more distortion, the BETTER ... well, I mean "good" distortion, as it applies to ME.  :twisted:

BillyJ

I love the greenringer! I think it may have been my first real build!
But since it is also a psuedoringer I thought I would point out this little item that a forum member is working up for us.  :wink:
http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?p=100663#100663
Looks really neat to me and I can't wait!!

Mike Nichting

has anyone successfully done the "NULL" mod from JD's site??
What am I doing wrong??
I put the pot on a switch and ran the wires from there. Maybe that is it. There isn't much room for the pot on the board.

Anyway, I want to thank BillyJ for thre PNP blue's of the Green ringer in the first place or I wouldn't haVE BUILT IT.

Thanks all~!!!!

Mike N.
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".

Mike Nichting

Oh yeah, how can I tell what a GE tranny looks like??

<Mike N.

BillyJ

You'll hear "AHHHHH" in angels voices when your near one  :wink:
No just kidding. I think for the most part they came in metal can packages.
Be warned though there are plenty of si ones in metal too.
I think that is the major difference in look....I think germs usually are taller and fully round too.

bwanasonic

Quote from: aron

hmmm.... I've played live and recorded with mine for years. I've never even gotten a hint of octave down!   :(

Any octave down is almost certainly some kind of difference-tone sub octave type thingy when two or more notes are played. Arpeggiate a stack of perfect fourths at the twelfth fret if you want to hear an octavia/ringer lose it's mind.

Kerry M

petemoore

They sounds [well a particular type of clipping sound I'm thinking I can kinda recognize? or am I dreamin'][pretty dang sure I could hear a different sound and the biasing mightta been touchy].
 I noticed that Si's temp stability is evident when running them.
 I had this Tycho that I could 'theremin' in and out of octaves with and without ocsillations all the way to gating then shutoff by waving my hand over the upturned bottom of the box heating the Ge material I was using in Q2...was pretty nifty...touching intermittently had yet a different efkt.
 So, sometimes the Ge's biasing finikkeyness and response to very slight temperature differences can make it tricky to keep biased.
 I just got the legs of a 'Scavved' 19.2k trimpot heat-throughed the holes...[heat the glommed solder on each leg and press through the hole while molten] for the Green Ringer Q2 collector...dohh might be cool as a control for it...I should be able to stabilize bias within' different transistors 'parameters'. ...Well back to it before the Iron gets all Co
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

bwanasonic

Quote from: petemooreThey sounds [well a particular type of clipping sound I'm thinking I can kinda recognize? or am I dreamin'][pretty dang sure I could hear a different sound and the biasing mightta been touchy]...

Pete, your posts always have a delightful borderline incoherance to them! Keep em' comin.

Kerry M