i need a real big enclosure

Started by troubledtom, January 19, 2004, 01:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troubledtom

........ its got to be strong/stompable. i'd like it to be 14in by 4or5 in and 2in high. just to give you an idea. it " could " be just about any size, but BIG.
          thanx,
              - tom :idea:

smoguzbenjamin

I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

ExpAnonColin

You could always get it custom made (about $50).

-Colin

ExpAnonColin

Try Mouser part numbers 546-1411ZU (17x5x4) and 546-1411XU (12x7x4).  Also, 546-1444-18 (17x4x3).

-Colin

R.G.

Quote........ its got to be strong/stompable. i'd like it to be 14in by 4or5 in and 2in high. just to give you an idea. it " could " be just about any size, but BIG.
... have you read the article at GEO about the larger size Steel Stud enclosure? I think it's pretty much exactly what you're looking for, given that you're willing to fabricate a bottom and side covers.

A real primo look for these is to make hardwood end covers and a flat sheet metal bottom cover. Pretty easy, even with minimal tools.

They're mild steel, so all auto body painting supplies work great on them.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

troubledtom

Quote from: anonymousexperimentalistTry Mouser part numbers 546-1411ZU (17x5x4) and 546-1411XU (12x7x4).  Also, 546-1444-18 (17x4x3).

-Colin
thanx colin,
       but those enclosures are not stompable, great for table top units though.
           - tom

mikeb

Hey Tom - wassup? I emailed you a couple of days ago.

Hammond diecast boxes don't come any wider than about 10.5" (and that is with a height of 2.75"!). Suggestions:
- use a smaller stompable box, connected to a remote box that has all the controls, ins and outs etc. You can use relays for switching stuff to avoid passing the audio through the cable.
- the Hammond sloping face series
14" wide x 1.5" high (front)/3" high (rear) x 8.3" deep -> 1456PH1WHBU (white top, blue case) or 1456PH1BKBU (black top, blue case) or 1456PH1WHCWW (white top, walnut case) .... these are 10 degree slopes

There are more options for the Hammonds in 15 and 30 degree slopes too.

This Hammond catalog makes for fun bedtime reading! :twisted:

MikeB

Zero the hero

Man, I hope that this is big enough.
There's enough space for everything, included stomps, jacks and pots.
https://www.forwardair.com/prepaid/container_Pictures.htm

dan

-Dan

dan

p.s. will this work for whatever your making? it's figure c in the catalog. this would be what i would get. btw, what are you making? i'm guessing...big loop box or remote bypass switch box thingy mijiger?
-Dan

Dan N

It's been a while, but Ted Weber of webervst.com was threatening to produce a big enclosure for multiple foot switches. I don't know if he ever made any.

You might email him. Could be that if he does not have that enclosure, there may be some kind of unpunched amp chassis that might suit your needs.

Good luck!

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

This may sound crazy, but depending what you are building, it might be worth  bolting a number of boxes together. You certainy get a very robust result.

afranks

Check out Rose Bopla for about the best extruded enclosures
I've ever seen.  The extrusion stock comes in 1 meter lengths,
so you have to order at minimum enough to make up a meter
of stock.  The extrusions are from their build-a-box product line.

You buy the extrusion and end panels seperately, and the end
panels screw into the extrusion.  They're available with a nice
textured powder coat finish.  They are not cheap, but they're
commercial quality.  We're using their build-a-box line for a
product we're developing where I work (automotive diagnostic
equipment).  Definitely stomp worthy.

http://www.rose-bopla.com/

-alan

troubledtom

Quote from: mikebHey Tom - wassup? I emailed you a couple of days ago.

Hammond diecast boxes don't come any wider than about 10.5" (and that is with a height of 2.75"!). Suggestions:
- use a smaller stompable box, connected to a remote box that has all the controls, ins and outs etc. You can use relays for switching stuff to avoid passing the audio through the cable.
- the Hammond sloping face series
14" wide x 1.5" high (front)/3" high (rear) x 8.3" deep -> 1456PH1WHBU (white top, blue case) or 1456PH1BKBU (black top, blue case) or 1456PH1WHCWW (white top, walnut case) .... these are 10 degree slopes

There are more options for the Hammonds in 15 and 30 degree slopes too.

This Hammond catalog makes for fun bedtime reading! :twisted:

MikeB
tv email is down . i'm useing the wifes computer at this time.
     peace to my brother mike both 8)
                      -tom :twisted:

RDV

Quote from: Zero the heroMan, I hope that this is big enough.
There's enough space for everything, included stomps, jacks and pots.
https://www.forwardair.com/prepaid/container_Pictures.htm
Imagine the knobs Tom would mount on that sucker, might even have room for a stompswitch!  :P

Regards

RDV

troubledtom

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)This may sound crazy, but depending what you are building, it might be worth  bolting a number of boxes together. You certainy get a very robust result.
the mighty FROSTY  8)
         that was my other idea, i figured how many cazy cool sob's will want this device.
   so , i'm leaning more towards that idea , i'm going to a custum shop in a day or 2.
     also, id like to thank all for their input.  please fell free to give me some other options !!!!!!!
         the encloser will likley be bigger than i thought. so i'm gonna try
getting a custom box that i can combine together.
   9 by 5 , 1 3/4 high times 2  :twisted:
                    - tom

Ansil

Quote from: troubledtom........ its got to be strong/stompable. i'd like it to be 14in by 4or5 in and 2in high. just to give you an idea. it " could " be just about any size, but BIG.
          thanx,
              - tom :idea:

contact donald stringer..  he may be able to help you. he works with metal and ahs helped me in the past wiht some kicining boxes

hair force one

i can make you one of that particular kind,  y:Pp
See an exemple of what i'm making in the "tinker time!" thread.

Cheers

troubledtom

Quote from: hair force onei can make you one of that particular kind,  y:Pp
See an exemple of what i'm making in the "tinker time!" thread.

Cheers
thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i think shipping would be $$$$$$$$.
    but you truly have a talent and i'd love to see it happen. i did follow your tread and it puts a smile on my face every time i see one of your enclosures.
      we need to talk/email for sure.
              peace,
                  - tom pollock
www.troubledvariance.com

jsleep

Tom,

Small Bear's got the best bang for the buck that I've found.  Almost as big as a "D" for half the price.

JD
For great Stompbox projects visit http://www.generalguitargadgets.com