should i buy this oscilloscope

Started by Brian Marshall, February 19, 2004, 09:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRTelec

Chances are it doesn't work...

"No warranty, due to age of item. [...] This item has no warranty, either expressed or implied. There is no guarantee as to the usability or function of this item unless otherwise stated."

niftydog

I've seen 'em cheaper!

Better off saving up a bit more and going with something a tad more modern!  I got a fully operational Tektronix 2225 for AUD$160!!!  Sometimes you can get lucky!
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

eliktronik

I can't really contribute anything here, except for pointing out the obvious:

"Eico Oscilloscope Model 460. Powers Up, Tested and Works."

I guess it would take someone with some experience to know what condition it's most likely in....

ExpAnonColin

Elik: They can always say "it worked when I had it, but since they'res no warranty it doesn't matter that it's broken now that you got it".

With O-scopes, you have to be SUPER careful about the warranty info.  I'd wait until one stated that it was recently calibrated and was guaranteed to work, whether it be warranty or not.

-Colin

eliktronik

You're definitely right... I wouldn't go spending the money unless I had better proof, but on the other hand, speaking from personal experience selling used stuff, it's really hard to offer a waranty on something like that. Just b/c it works doesn't mean it won't die tomorrow, but then again it might work for another 20 yrs. Anyways, definitely be skeptical of ebay stuff.

Edit: just read all of your post, and it look like you chimed in with the o-scope experience...

brett

We're into audio, not high frequency video stuff, so any old scope will do.

I bought an old (1970s?) Telemark? (now Tectronix) scope for US$40 a couple of years ago and it's done everything I've asked. :D   It's great! (Actually I thought it finally died the other day, but powering off and on fixed it - weird).

Maybe I'm a cheapskate, but even if you only get a year or two out of it, I figure that you've done well.  And it might keep going as long as you do.

Scopes are great fun and really help you figure out what doing what and what sounds good.  I find that now I can pick potentially good-sounding distortions just by looking at the trace.

Sory about adding to the confusion...
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: eliktronikYou're definitely right... I wouldn't go spending the money unless I had better proof, but on the other hand, speaking from personal experience selling used stuff, it's really hard to offer a waranty on something like that. Just b/c it works doesn't mean it won't die tomorrow, but then again it might work for another 20 yrs. Anyways, definitely be skeptical of ebay stuff.

Edit: just read all of your post, and it look like you chimed in with the o-scope experience...

Well, O-scopes, particularly older ones, a very prone to crashing-which is a very good reason that no one on eBay puts warranty's on them.  That's why you want one with a warranty on it so much.  I think fixing one of these buggers is too daunting a task for humble old pedalbuilder me :(

-Colin

Peter Snowberg

That looks like a cool unit to me if you want a classic tube scope (I assume it's all tube).

Eico made some really nice stuff. I used to have an ST-70 amp and was devastated when my father donated it to a place that probably threw it out. :cry:

Like an old amp, it may need a cap job so be prepared to look at it as a fixer-upper without perfect calibration, but for audio at $39 I don't think you could loose too badly. I have an old Tek 647 so I am biased. ;)

If you want a workhorse, I would suggest something a little newer with dual trace, but any scope is better than no scope!

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Paul Marossy

That looks like a great buy to me, at first glance. If it is all tube, it may be hard to find replacement tubes for it. But, most likely, there some NOS tubes available for it at a reasonable price.

For $39, it's hard to beat. It'll probably cost $25-30 for shipping.

A confirmed working Tek 453 is a good buy, too. The screen is a little small, but it's a dual trace scope. They don't go for too much, and they are things you can actually work on yourself if you have a manual for it. The manuals aren't too hard to find for that particular scope.

downweverything

I have an Eico scope I got for free and it is horrible (it works fine)... i wouldnt recommend one to anyone working or not.  The traces are sometimes skewed depending on settings, its hard to sync, and measurements are next to impossible.  id look into a cheaper agilent, hp, bk, or tektronics or something of the like
EDIT: also if you look in the pic youll notice that the waveform isnt in sync and the top of the wave looks smaller than the bottom,  probably a perfect example about what i was saying.

Peter Snowberg

Downweverything,

I'm just curious if you have done a cap job on your scope? It wouldn't surprise me if you had a gem in the rough. New tubes (incl. the CRT) could turn it into a new device.

Take care,
-Peter

downweverything

yeah, i opened it up and the insides are a mess, so many parts in so little space i just gave up on working on it.  but it does work and it is still extremely hard to use as it doesnt have a horizontal timing section setup like scopes do now.  its kinda like a trigger and horizontal section in one, it takes a perfect finger to get it in sync and just like touching the table its on will move the knob enough to make the waveform start moving slowly.  pretty much just a total pain IMHO.  maybe somebody else disagrees but i wouldnt feel right recommending these scopes to people when there are much better and easier to use ones for about the same price out there.

downweverything

Oh yeah and on mine there is no earth ground on the power supply, its two prong, its possible to get a nasty shock if you plug it in backwards which i have done. :shock: did i forget to mention it doesnt have normal bnc connectors for the probe, its bananna jacks, arg....good luck compensating this thing with a cap probe.  prob has something to do with my sometimes skewed sometimes not skewed results.

Paul Marossy

That would be a pain trying to find probes for it since it doesn't have BNC jacks. It would probably be OK if you just wanted to look at waveforms with it, and total accuracy isn't too important. You know, if you don't want to do stuff like accurately measuring peak to peak voltage and stuff like that.

toneman

hey all,

this is NOT a triggered sweep scope.
Avoid it.

Even looks like it's a tube scope also.
Avoid these also.

P.S.  i like Tek 465Bs
JustMHO
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

troubledtom

i prefer tektronix scopes and please don't buy one on evilbay.
       - tom

Peter Snowberg

No triggreed sweep??? Yikes! :shock:

I would avoid it in that case...... repairable or not. (unless you just like classic gear ;))

Take care,
-Peter

Paul Marossy

:shock:
In the case of it not being a triggered scope, I second Peter on avoiding it.

Brian Marshall

Quote from: troubledtomi prefer tektronix scopes and please don't buy one on evilbay.
       - tom

where can i buy one, and not have to pay $300+

I really want one, but dont really neeeeeed one, so i've just been looking for something to toy arround with