Experimentalists anonymous update finally done...

Started by ExpAnonColin, March 13, 2004, 01:26:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExpAnonColin

All the links should work, you should be able to view everything...

I plan on updating the archives once every 2 weeks or so with about 25 new files each week... what can I say, I download everything.  Any comments?  Looking for suggestions here...

-Colin

Marcos - Munky

Cool, Colin. I was waiting to see your site again.

cedric

great Colin!! i've waited for your site to come back as well.

but why is this schem in the Line6modeller-folder

oh, and most of the pics doesn't work (yet - wrong link perhaps)?

- ced

smoguzbenjamin

Off topic: That BA6214 chip, could you use that as one of those cool LED arrays that light more up as the volume increases and stuff, you know what I mean you see it on mixers and stuff all of the time... 'cause that would look really sweet on my pedalboard... just for aesthetics ;)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: smoguzbenjaminOff topic: That BA6214 chip, could you use that as one of those cool LED arrays that light more up as the volume increases and stuff, you know what I mean you see it on mixers and stuff all of the time... 'cause that would look really sweet on my pedalboard... just for aesthetics ;)

Of course you could, you probably wouldn't need much more than just the chip, depending on your PU output.

-Colin

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: cedricgreat Colin!! i've waited for your site to come back as well.

but why is this schem in the Line6modeller-folder

- ced

Whoops, that should be in the schematics folder... I'll fix the images, too.  Thanks.

-Colin

RickL

O/T and could have been posted in any number of threads, but could you shorten you banner up a bit. Every time you post it widens the screen on your and everyone elses posts so you have to keep scrolling back and forth to read them.  It's not critical but I (and others?) find it a bit annoying.
Alternately are there settings I can use to eliminate the annoyance on my end?

The same thing happens when large schematics and pictures are posted but I don't think there is anything easy that can be done to solve that.

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: RickLO/T and could have been posted in any number of threads, but could you shorten you banner up a bit. Every time you post it widens the screen on your and everyone elses posts so you have to keep scrolling back and forth to read them.  It's not critical but I (and others?) find it a bit annoying.
Alternately are there settings I can use to eliminate the annoyance on my end?

The same thing happens when large schematics and pictures are posted but I don't think there is anything easy that can be done to solve that.

Sorry about that.  The reason this is true is because your screen resolution is too small.  The image is 800 pixels wide, and so I'm guessing you're using the resolution 800x600.  The sort of "industry standard" is 1024x786.  I'm using 1600x1200, just because I Like to fit more on my screen.  Try going to the appearance settings on your computer (I think with with windows you go to the desktop, right click, and hit properties) and change it to a bigger resolution.  Or, I could make my banner a bit smaller...

-Colin

ExpAnonColin

OK, the articles section was fixed, and as I type I'm updating the datasheet and schematic archive with maybe 20 new files.

Happy parusing...

-Colin

RickL

You appear to have nailed my problem. I have an older, smallish moniter and if I change the settings as you suggested I can see most of the screen without scrolling but the print size is small enough to make it hard for me to read.

I'll live with scrolling. Thanks for your reply.

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: RickLYou appear to have nailed my problem. I have an older, smallish moniter and if I change the settings as you suggested I can see most of the screen without scrolling but the print size is small enough to make it hard for me to read.

I'll live with scrolling. Thanks for your reply.

Ah, yeah, the text will get smaller.  Is it really that much bigger than your screen?

-Colin

Peter Snowberg

Colin, would you please shorten you banner to something LESS than 300 pixels wide?

I use 1024x768 for most browsing and the horizontal scrolling required in EVERY thread you post in is getting super annoying. It's at the point where I would add your address to an 'ignore' list, but this forum software does not have that feature.

You should not force people to adjust screen sizes at somebody else's forum. You can do that at your own site, but it's rude to do that in a community. Most often I browse here with a window that's smaller than my desktop which just makes it even more annoying.

We're all at the mercy of the template files included with phpBB.

The Runoffgroove folks have shown leadership in this area by using a small graphic.

Thank you.
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

smoguzbenjamin

I use 1024x700something and the banner still widens my screen. Could you size it down a bit please after all, Colin?:)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

ExpAnonColin

Shee-yat.  300 pixels?  All right, I'll fix it.

-Colin

Peter Snowberg

Thank you, that was a VAST improvement.  :)

You're still forcing me the scroll in some situations, but it is much better.

Keep in mind that WHERE YOU ARE a 1024x768 screen is commonplace, but this is a world-wide forum and 800x600 is still in use on a lot of machines out there. That's why I said 300 wide. The difference between 432 and 300 is the difference between scrolling and not. Your handle exacerbates things because of the length. The space available to show a pic without causing horizontal scrolling is the distance between the separation between the 'handle' and 'body' cells on the left, and the left edge of the 'quote' button at the top. I have a couple more buttons up there than you do because I'm a moderator.

This is a text discussion forum, not a graphic arts showoff forum.

I thought your sig pic looked really cool, it's too bad that a forum like this requires adapting to the lowest common denominator, but in the words of Bruce Hornsby.... "That's just the way it is."

Take care,
-Peter

puretube

yes - I got 800x600 on an 19"-er
(I like to sit far away from emitting tubes...), and the scrolling is a pain in the "brain"... (esp., when not necc. for 98% of the other posts).

ExpAnonColin

Jesus, man, I'm not trying to show off anything, I'm just trying to "jazz up" the sig link a tiny bit.  And if you want my nick to be smaller, please use your administrative permissions to prune it to EAColin or something like that.

-Colin

Peter Snowberg

I don't want to 'prune' your handle. That's your handle man. I would only suggest action there if you were taking up half the screen, thus causing everybody to have to scroll horizontally.

I'm just pointing out that the longer the handle, the less space you have on the rest of the screen. That's a simple fact.

The forum software already gives you the "WWW" button at the bottom of every post you make. There is no NEED to jazz up your sig line; it's a want. Nothing wrong with that.... you just need to be conscious of what that means for others.

BTW: 15+ years ago my sig was "Only those who risk going too far will ever know how far they can go"  ;)

When Aron changed over to this latest forum software, there was option to allow avitars. I'm very glad this place does not have them. If it did, I'm quite convinced that it would have been FAR less of a success because people don't seem to care about other people's screen real estate.

I know I'm very sensitive to this whole screen size issue, and maybe it's because I'm from a time when high resolution meant 280x192 pixels, but if I am forced to constantly scroll I'm just going to give up and spend my time doing other things.

You should photoshop up a picture with an 800x600 rectangle, set your browser within that rectangle, and see what you make others have to look at before you commit to it. Every web designer used to do that trick years ago.

Take care,
-Peter

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: Peter Snowberg
You should photoshop up a picture with an 800x600 rectangle, set your browser within that rectangle, and see what you make others have to look at before you commit to it. Every web designer used to do that trick years ago.

Take care,
-Peter

Oh yeah man, I go 800x600 all the time to make sure the webpage fits OK.  I try to keep all dimensions under 800 at all times.

(changes resolution) Yep, it all (profile and nick) seems to fit on my screen at 800x600.

-Colin