dual cmos inverter eight pin package

Started by Ansil, March 13, 2004, 02:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ansil

still working on this one. but has anyone ever tried to cut a cd4049 in half and use it has a different pinout but a dual inverter..  i mean sometimes you can apply the v+ to a different pin and it will work.. not all the time. but i was tinkering with one. and i cut it in half and one side worked the other didnt'  but stil tinkering wanted to see if anyone had any opinions

i cut it with a dremel cuttin wheel. with the chip inbeded in the foam and strapped to a block of wood,  and i covered the top of the chip all but the sharpie line i used to mark the cutline  with roll lead to keep any magnetic fields from teh chip.

smoguzbenjamin

:D You're a brave man... The thought of cutting a chip in half hadn't even occured to me :lol: Bu if you only need 2 inverters why don't you just ground the other 4 ;)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

zachary vex

wacky.  what a crazy idea.  the chip is actually in the middle of the package, and who knows where the leads come from off the chip... the likelyhood that you could accurately cut a piece of fragile silicon exactly in half and preserve the proper components is so unlikely as to be astronomical.

i do wish they offered logic chips in half-sized as well.  8^)  but even with one of james bond's enemy's lasers, it's highly unlikely anyone could cut any 16 or 18 pin logic chip in half and end up with anything that works.  they don't always lay out the pads in places you'd expect.

gez

Melt some sand and 'roll your own'! :D
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

bobbletrox

That's why I just thought "what the heck" and build my own Hex buffer.

Here I am working on a Craig Anderson tremolo:

JonC

How long will it run off of a fresh 9V?

smoguzbenjamin

This is a special one that runs of +/- 15v ;)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Ansil

yeah i thought this could be a cool new idea..  till i was messing with it today and hmm silicon smoke.. nothing like it..i am guessin it was a fluke but thats ok  got another idea from it.

also  even if you manage to cut it in half it don't hold its integrity for very long.  i put it down for less than 15 hours and it is crumbling beyond reckognation.. and all this while sitting on the trainer. oh wel back to the drawing board

The Tone God