know that i only use "EL DUDERINO" coz it from the movie
the big labowski, which is very funny and the name is kinda cheesy :D

anyway i always sign out with my real
name..

thanks
eamonn<<<<<< c!! 8)
you can keep my finger nails clean

David

I like to keep things on a first name basis.
Yes, David is my real first name.

Paul Marossy

I only use the edit function to correct spelling or grammatical errors, or maybe to make something more clear, but never to delete something embarassing or stupid. If I were to remove such things, then someone reading things from the archives wouldn't be able to see the flaws in my thinking at the time that I posted, and it would disrupt the continuity of the thread. I can take being wrong along with the rest.   :wink:

There are some here who don't use their full real name (like R.G.), but I sure am glad that some of those people visit here!  8)

RDV

Hey!
Maybe R.G. Keen is really D.B. Cooper!

Think about it. :wink:

RDV

Nasse

Any web forum in the world is not ideal and perfect, but I believe this is the best
  • SUPPORTER

Hal

im so naive its rediculus.  Maybe its becuase i just do this for fun, and dont expect to make money off of it.  But why would people intentionally lie here?  I dont understand.  I might get something wrong here, but thats because im still learning.  And i use my name, becuase everyone else did.

aron

QuoteWould it serve the best interests of the Forum to leave it or delete it?

Very, very good question.

What I do know is if people know that they cannot delete the posts, then they will probably be more careful about what they say.  I'm not pointing out one person, there are others that have gone back and deleted entire posts too. I remember reading one day and all I saw was a ton of deleted posts because that person was "upset" for some reason.

I agree that people using pseudonyms can be extremely helpful - maybe I just miss the times that we could really "thank" the people that really help us. It's great to thank "Mark Hammer" or "Jack Orman" or "R.G" instead of "Mr.Potentiometer" or something  :D

The other part I was mentioning was that please be careful who you enter into "trades" or other agreements. Please check their "history" in the forum before you make a decision on doing trades or purchasing things. There have a been (admittedly a small number) of reports of problems with certain people.

Anyway, thanks everyone for being here!!!!!  8)

Peter Snowberg

Quote from: aron
QuoteWould it serve the best interests of the Forum to leave it or delete it?

Very, very good question.

What I do know is if people know that they cannot delete the posts, then they will probably be more careful about what they say. ...
In spite of the nastiness in "that" thread, there was some useful discussion too. I think somebody searching for that information might find something useful in there in the future, even with the scraps that are left. I don't like how it got out of hand a second time. I think as long as the noise level is kept at an absolute minimum it doesn't diminish the whole. It's easy for a reader to see where the sources and sinks are. The universe does have three degrees Kelvin of background noise.

I don't know if people would be more careful or not if they couldn't edit later. Most of the things I correct are words that made it past the spell check but shouldn't have been there anyway or a botched URL. I really appreciate the ability to edit. I think the delete mania sessions are more spur of the moment. I have seen things be highly out of control when a forum allows for the deleting of the entire message and not just the contents of there of. I think editability is a good medium.

I could always make a mod that would archive the message contents whenever a post was edited, but I don't know what it would accomplish in the end other than an audit trail for administration. If you want one I can put it on the to-do list. It should be fairly small.

Take care,
-Peter

PS: to steal Aron's line...

Anyway, thanks everyone for being here!!!!! 8)
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

nightingale

nightingale is the name of the band i dedicate my life to, i chose the handle nightingale to get the name out there.. you never know who could be crusing the forum.. kind of ironic that i edited this post..lol!

i was ryanS on the old forum, and i still sign my real name every time i post.

i must admit, i like the "edit Post" funtion because if a better idea sparks.. or if i feel i can explain something easier to help someone.. i like to be able to change/edit  what i typed.. but it is pretty simple to jut "reply" again with the new imformation..

just for the record:
i am the type of person that would probably be a bit more careful when posting, if i new i could not edit/delete it..

just thought i would add my thoughts to the thread..
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

R.G.

I've always used my name, including in the days of the pre-web lawless usenet news groups.

I personally believe that if you're ashamed to sign your name, you probably shouldn't write it down. 8-)
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

phillip

I'm Spartacus!

Well, really, Phillip's my first name...if you want to know my last name then you'll just have to venture over to Fuzz Central ;)  Besides, friends don't call each other by their last names! :)

Phillip

RDV

Quote from: phillipI'm Spartacus!
NO!, I'm Spartacus!

Couldn't resist :wink:

RDV

phillip

Quote from: RDVNO!, I'm Spartacus!

Couldn't resist :wink:

RDV

:D

Phillip

gez

Quote from: Peter SnowbergI could always make a mod that would archive the message contents whenever a post was edited, but I don't know what it would accomplish in the end other than an audit trail for administration. If you want one I can put it on the to-do list. It should be fairly small.

Not too sure I like the sound of that Peter.  Do you meant that if I edit a post for typos or if I want to rephrase it so that my question/reply is more concise, the original (with mistakes/waffle) will appear in the archives?!

I remember a really bad sketch show a few years ago where they parodied that Spartacus scene.  Everyone stands up one by one and says "No, I'm Spartacus!" so the Roman turns to one of his subordinates and says "very well, execute them all!" to which they all turn round, point at this one bloke in the crowd and shout in unison "NO, HE'S SPARTACUS!!!"

Well, made me chuckle at the time...
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Peter Snowberg

Gez,

Oh no.... it would be an admin only file that would allow the forum admin (in his case Aron) to review edited posts to see what previous versions looked like. Nothing would be visible to the userbase.

I'm NOT Spartacus!  :P  

Take care,
-Peter (and yes, this is my real name)
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

zener

It's Zener, really. 8)  My dad is in the electronics industry and he named me after the diode.

I don't know if the diode has some special bond to my father's mind. But at least, I like it because it's so unique that there's no other Zener here in my country other than me. (I hope nobody did came up  with the name after my dad did)

The overall kindness and helpfulness of this forum is being stained by a few dishonest individuals.

Is there a way to ban them from getting here? Has any users were banned for any violations or misconduct since this forum has started?
Oh yeah!

Travis

Banning people is a bad idea.  It is (and should remain) ridiculously easy to register, and so re-register.  Probably more important, a significant portion of those people who would be banned benefit from the atmosphere we all enjoy here.

Having no nonverbal cues allows for insane misunderstandings.  This is especially relevant considering the non-native English speakers and young people on the board.  Anyone recall Puretube's abbreviation? (Sorry) Maybe there's a better example out there, but I can't think of one at 6AM.

There are plenty of other reasons for someone to be offended, but these things always seem to slide on by on this forum.  Both the excellent moderation and the genial, mature nature of almost all of the people here contribute to that.

Then again, some people are just crazy:
http://petkohumenik.szm.sk/

Travis Green

gez

Quote from: Peter SnowbergOh no.... it would be an admin only file that would allow the forum admin (in his case Aron) to review edited posts to see what previous versions looked like. Nothing would be visible to the userbase.

Thanks for clarifying that Peter.  I have no problem with this, but is it really necessary? (doesn't happen that much)

PS Gez is sort of my real name (it's what friends and family call me...amongst other things!)
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Gilles C

Humm, maybe I should begin to edit my post...

Normally, I try to add a second post to correct the first one. It happens all the time  :(

Things don't always look the same on the monitor than in my head...