Game Boy Oscilloscpe???

Started by Sic, June 01, 2004, 03:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sic

Elektor Electronics

Scroll down a little bit and you see "gameboy Digital Sampling Oscilloscope back in stock!"

Has anyone ever tried one of these? how neat

Lonestarjohnny

I've never tried one but it look's interesting, I have a handheld Fluke but it's back at the factory getting recalibrated, I'll have a need for it this fall for a project I'll be doing down in So. America. I've hauled this one around the world several time's and it's the first time I've ever had a problem out of it, but I guess it should be a very good scope, I paid a chunk for it,
JD

Sic

Project down in So. America? very awesome!

I was just wondering about the gameboy oscilloscope due to the "coolness" factor of it...

'scopes are expensive and tbh, i have no way of justifying buying one for several hundred dollars this early in my effects building... however using a gameboy  SCREAMS DIY DIY DIY DIY DIY to me lol

niftydog

My boss built one.

Chips are kinda hard to get... actually, make that "hard to get in Australia"!

...and they're INCREDIBLY small and fiddly... so if you're not practiced in the art of surface mount, wait until you ARE practiced, cause you don't wanna kill anything!

In the end it works pretty good, and was a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a commercial hand held.

No backlight though.  And it's a tad fragile if you attache BNC connectors to the board.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Mark Hammer

Dig around and you can find tons of stuff under the "hacking Gameboy" banner.

smoguzbenjamin

Now I have a use for that old GameBoy of mine :mrgreen:
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

petemoore

If GB can do an osciscope, then there should be a program for computer or a way to get a computer to do an oscilliscope emulation???
 This sure would be nice, we had two scopes, years ago around here that died, I can't seem even to locate the carcasses of them anymore.'
 I think I could really use a scope about now too !!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Lonestarjohnny

Pete, Check out Ossi, and there are a couple more P.C. based Scope's as freeware on the webb somewhere, I'll look for them and shoot ya the site, I'm in my shop now and I have'nt networked this PC to my PC in the house yet,
JD

Johnny G

in my school electronics labs there is one of the issues of the elektor magazinne that has the article about making that Game Boy oscilloscope. it looks to be pretty good for a cheap scope and has a suprising number of features. like nifty dog said tho, its all surface mounted stuff so it would be a bit fiddley

however the backlight wouldnt be a problem. there was an add on for gameboys that had a magnifier and a light source that fitted over the screen. pretty much doubled the screen size and gave lighting lol

if people are interested i can try to find both parts of the article and scan them in?
LET US INSTIGATE THE REVOLT,DOWN WITH THE SYSTEM!

Marcus Dahl

Quote from: Johnny Gin my school electronics labs there is one of the issues of the elektor magazinne that has the article about making that Game Boy oscilloscope. it looks to be pretty good for a cheap scope and has a suprising number of features. like nifty dog said tho, its all surface mounted stuff so it would be a bit fiddley

however the backlight wouldnt be a problem. there was an add on for gameboys that had a magnifier and a light source that fitted over the screen. pretty much doubled the screen size and gave lighting lol

if people are interested i can try to find both parts of the article and scan them in?

Super cool!!!! I think a Gameboy Scope would be great for those of us with no room on our benches.
Marcus Dahl

ErikMiller

QuoteThe GBDSO comes as a ready-built and tested cartridge...

No worries about surface-mount soldering. This one comes already put together. 90 quid is a nice price for that!

Torchy

This is a freeware 'scope that uses the soundcard on your pc. Neat  8)

http://www.geocities.com/nlradiofm/winscope.zip

From the "readme.txt" file ...
Oscilloscope for Windows uses the sound card as an analog-to-digital
converter, providing complete oscilloscope and spectrum analyzer
functionality in Windows environment.

Specifications:
  - Dual trace digital storage oscilloscope with spectrum analyzer
  - 20 Hz - 20 kHz bandwidth
  - 50 ms buffer length
  - data export to Windows clipboard or to file (text format)

Features:
  - single and dual trace mode
  - XY mode (Lissajous patterns)
  - point-and-click waveform and spectrum meter functions
  - cross-correlation coefficient measurement
  - storage tube emulation
  - pretrigger view and armed triggering

brett

I tried a product called PCscope, and found it fairly useless if your signal was bouncing around (like guitar signals do).

Must try this winscope software.  It sounds a lot better.

The other alternative is buy an old scope.  My Telemark S32 cost OZ$60.  That's under US$50.

cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Johnny G

oh cool, i didnt realise that it came ready built i thought it was a kit. im still happy to find the article and scan it in if people want
LET US INSTIGATE THE REVOLT,DOWN WITH THE SYSTEM!