Flying Pan layout / schematic debugging

Started by mikeb, July 02, 2004, 09:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeb

A while back I posted about getting some help with reading the schematic for the Ibanez Flying Pan; since then I've worked up a PCB layout, but don't have the spare time to build and test it. This might involve looking for appropriate subs for the FETs, as well as building up and testing a moderately complex circuit, but if anyone is willing to help out (i.e. take the layout and build it up, then debug it with my assistance) it would be very helpful, and I'll put up the final, known working layout at my site for DIYers to build if they so wish.

Perhaps post here first, and we'll see how we go .... a few people would be even better!

Cheers

Mike

dr

.....I've never heard of a "flying pan"-is it some kind of auto-panner?.....

puretube

same thoughts on both sides of the globe - 2 different solutions...  :)

RickL

I'll give it a shot. I'm always up for something new.

mikeb

Thanks Rick .... anyone else? I'll give it another day or so, then contact people privately with details.

Mike

Fret Wire

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3721063846&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Incredible! I've always wanted to try one, but no one in my circle of friends has one, or will pay that kind of foolishness for one.

So.. Mike, count me in for whatever help you need. :D
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

mikeb

My God - what is really scary is that there's a chance the winner of that auction will resell it for even *more* money!

(briefly reconsiders letting slip a chance of becoming millionaire by selling Flying Pan clones. shakes head as realises is in same fantasy league as being a decent jazz pianist or growing his hair very long again)

;)

Thanks ... now if a couple more people throw their hats into the ring... here's a couple of images of the 3D Protel version of the almost finished PCB (need to route a few more traces and put some links in to keep it single-sided)....

"Build yourself a Flying Pan and save US$1200" 8)

Mike

Mark Hammer

I'd be interested in taking a stab at it.  You can send the proto-layout to me at mhammer@ccs.carleton.ca

I would be very surprised if the FETs were not SK30AY's.

About a year ago or so, we had a thread on panning effects.  At the time, one of the positions I took was that it might be useful to have strictly wet-panning.  The FP pans the entire phase-shifted signal back and forth, and the effect is more disconcerting than "animated".  I think a far more usable method of using panning to effect is to have only the wet (phase-shifted) signal panned back and forth between two mixing stages.  That way you maintain a more approximately equal level between channels but shift the effect around, and still obtain a stereo effect.

Too wacked out or not, the FP is an interesting beast and I'd be curious in playing with one.  Kinda curious about sticking an echo ahead of one and tinkering with the sync between the pan and delay/repeat interval.

puretube

yes, there is a lot of fun in phase, delay, and volume pertuberations... :wink:  8)  :wink:

mikeb

Quote from: Mark HammerI'd be interested in taking a stab at it.  You can send the proto-layout to me at mhammer@ccs.carleton.ca

I would be very surprised if the FETs were not SK30AY's.

Thanks Mark, will do.

You are correct about the FETs - I had someone open theirs and read out all the active part numbers. Do you know of a good sub for them (i.e. at least readily available, and also preferably cheap)?

Mike

Fret Wire

NTE lists their NTE459 as a sub for the 2SK30AY. Not that I would buy their's, but if their data sheet accurately represents the SK30AY, it's a starting point for a replacement search.

http://www.nteinc.com/specs/400to499/pdf/nte459.pdf

Edit: The NTE459's price is rediculous!
http://store.yahoo.com/webtronics/nte459.html
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

mikeb

http://home.highway.ne.jp/teddy/tubes/dk30ay.htm
http://www.sm.rim.or.jp/~konton/Museum-7.htm

It's probably better to work from the specs of the original device, then use NTE equivalent info. Likely at least a few FETs would work, maybe the circuit would require tweaking (and I can help with that also). 2N3904s can be used for the NPNs, I think.

Mike

Fret Wire

Is it just me, or are those links in jumbled text? :shock:

You're probably right about NTE, some of their subs are just "approximations" of the original device, not truly to spec.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

mikeb

You need to install Japanese fonts / language support for your OS. I know some Japanese and Chinese characters so have both of these on my machine .... the entire page bablefish translators choke on both of those pages, but you can copy and paste paragraphs for translation and that works ok.

Mike

phillip

I've always been interested in the Flying Pan.  I have several pictures of the circuit board (front and back) from Greg Nabke's site...I don't think it's there anymore, and the only part of the URL that I can remember is that it had "hairbear" in it.  Unfortunately I don't have the schematic of the Flying Pan.

The original circuit board was a single-sided and was intense to say the least.  There are a couple of leads and a capacitor soldered on the back of the board...it looks like even the Ibanez engineers couldn't fit all the traces that they needed onto a single sided board.

The Ibanez ST-810 Stereo Pan also looks interesting.  It was mounted in a wah pedal shell and panned from one side to the other, depending on where the treadle of the enclosure was.  I also have the schematic  and wiring diagram of that one too.

Phillip

mikeb

I acquired the schematic so I could enter it into Protel - the layout is designed for a Hammond 1590D box, with the rotary switch being soldered directly to the PCB.

Mike

mikeb

Just to clarify - I don't need checking of the schematic to PCB validity, I need people to actually build up a unit.

Cheers

Mike

mikeb

Update: I've just emailed the people who spoke up (here and via PM) a ZIP file with the original schematic, my redrawn schematic, a parts layout + PCB layout and a BOM, all in pdf (v6) format. I'm really hoping at least one person will have a good crack at this so I can make changes / fix mistakes / refine things, and then make it available to all.

Mike

Mark Hammer

Received in good order.  Thank you.  Hope to take a stab at it soon.