18v mod for boss ge7 help?

Started by actifed, July 05, 2004, 12:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

actifed

Hi,

I have tried replacing all caps with higher voltage(35v), and 3 JRC022 with Ne5532, what else needed to be replaced in order to accept 18V?

Thanks in advance!

actifed

Mark Hammer

That should be enough, although I would try it first with 12vdc, then maybe 15vdc, just to verify that all the parts changes have not resulted in anything else being changed (e.g., like a solder bridge).  If it works fine at 12 and 15v, it should work at 18.

Kleber AG

Sorry, dumb question:
Would it really benefit from that voltage change? I mean, would it be noticeable? And worth?

Thanks
Kleber AG

Transmogrifox

The op amp changes are a lower noise and distortion advantage...but you had just as well put in a little more cash and use MC33078 or go even higher with OP275 (higher slew rate).

The voltage change mod does two things:

1. Raises the supply rails so that clipping does not occur at the resonant frequencies when large amplitude signals are applied to the input (such as a distortion pedal output).

2.  Makes it much more versatile for power supply requirements.

If you aren't operating it with batteries, your increased current drain from the mods is not an issue.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.