help, easyvibe not working

Started by Marcos - Munky, September 25, 2004, 10:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcos - Munky

I built it using Willie's layout (sorry, I cant find the link for it), and it didn't worked. Here are the problems:
1- bias LED don't light up
2- LEDs don't flash
3- the trimpot does nothing
4- I get a distorted sound with depht pot at min., and a little sound with depht in max., but with squealing sounds.

What this can be?

David

Munky:

Did you use --

TL064s or TL062s?  Hollis is real picky about his components!

3mm RED LEDs?

R.G.'s PCB layout?

R.G.

QuoteWhat this can be?
Almost anything.

Is Willie's layout known to be correct?

If so, what are the IC pin voltages???
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Marcos - Munky

I used TL072s and 5mm red LEDs. I believe Willie's layout is correct cause he built one and posted soundclips in his page. I will get the pin voltages.

David

Munky --

I know that Hollis specifically designed the Zombie Chorus to take advantage of a quirk in the TL064 and TL062.  I don't remember if the EasyVibe is designed specifically around those chips or not.  Might be a good idea to breadboard it first using the exact components.  Then you can play around with substitutions.  That would be my plan.

Arno van der Heijden

I used TL072 (with R.G.'s layout) and they work perfectly.

Hal

is there voltage at the LED's ?

are you using standard, or high brightness 5mm LEDs?  I wonder if it would work against a high Vf of some LEDs....

Also, again, i'm not sure how the circuit works, but if the LEDs are in paralell, they would need to have fairly similar Vf's, or they wouldn't light at all;  Hollis says to make sure you use all of the same LEDs, maybe this is the reason?  My experiance tells me, once again, that high brightness LEDs are more likely to have more variable voltage drops.

lightningfingers

Quotebias LED don't light up

First, check that you put them in the right way. If so, use a diode checker to make sure they're ok. IF theyre in right and not broken it could be a power supply problem...

You can post your IC pin voltages here, i'll check them against my working easyvibe.

EDIT: Mine had problems when i used TL074s, it would work for about 5 minutes then the wet signal would die....
U N D E F I N E D

Marcos - Munky

I used common 5mm LEDs. They are working, I checked them with the battery. I will take the voltages of the ICs.

Marcos - Munky

I got the pin voltages, but I don't know how to say which IC is the IC1, which is is IC2, which ICis IC3 and which IC is IC4, but here are the voltages.
battery=7.86V
1-6.58V
2-5.40V
3-2.35V
4-0V
5-0.75V
6-3.23V
7-4.00V
8-7.30V

1-4.05V
2-3.46V
3-0.95V
4-0V
5-0.75V
6-2.08V
7-2.63V
8-6.71V

1-1.33V
2-1.33V
3-0.75V
4-0V
5-6.35V
6-0V
7-6.21V
8-7.26V

1-6.52V
2-4.47V
3-0V
4-0V
5-0.90V
6-0.96V
7-1.41V
8-7.22V

Also, I don't get any voltages in the bias LEDs. Where I need to start to search for the problem?

RDV

Marcos - Munky

I will take a look in the LEDs polarity.
EDIT: I checked them, they are correct.

lightningfingers

I take it your're using 4 dual opamps...

I found the link to Willys layout but it doesnt work.

Can you tell us which of the ICs you posted voltages for are for the phase stages/lfo etc.
U N D E F I N E D

Marcos - Munky

This is the problem, I don't know which IC does what in the Willie's layout. I think the better thing to do then is rebuild it using RG's layout, because it will be easier to degub. What you guys think?

David

lightningfingers

U N D E F I N E D

Aharon

Quote from: Marcos - MunkyI used TL072s and 5mm red LEDs. I believe Willie's layout is correct cause he built one and posted soundclips in his page. I will get the pin voltages.

Hey Munky,I built it ( 2 years ago or so)around Willie's PCB and it worked,so it's not the layout.
Used TL062s,red difused LEDs and Silonex LDRs with an off(dark) resistance of at least 10M.
Hope it helps
Aharon
Aharon

Marcos - Munky

Thanks for the info. I think I will try to rebuild it using RG's layout (this will be a hard job, RG's layout is smaller and harder to solder). It will be easier to debug it (cause almost everybody that built the EV used RG's layout).

Aharon

Yeah,it's really tight,that's the main reason I used Willie's PCB.
Oh well,good luck with the build.
Aharon
Aharon

RDV

I didn't find R.G.'s layout hard to solder but when you make the PCB some of the traces are sure to stick together. Just get ready with the old exacto knife, and you'll be able to fix it up.

RDV